HybridZ

Wastegate pipe length???

jgkurz

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the middle of a wastegate re-design on My L28. I purchased a Tial 41mm gate that I thought would fit just above the downpipe near the firewall. After receiving the WG and mocking it up I think I need to find another location. I will be using a ported version of the OEM .63 turbine housing with a block-off flange instead of the internal wastegate.

I now think I'm going mount the WG under the downpipe between the oil pan and steering link. This will make the discharge pipe from the turbine flange to the wastegate about 12" to 14" rather than the 4" I originally planned.

Does a longer pipe have any detrimental affect on the wastegates ability to regulate boost? I will be using 1.5" pipe throughout.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

It made no difference in my setup to run the deltagate from the back of the turbo ( I used the stock wastegate port) with a pipe down to where the exhaust turns under the car ( ~ 24" piping) to right off the back of the turbo then dumping into the downpipe. (6" of pipe)

Thanks for the responses. I feel more confident in approach. Now I just need to get it welded together....:ugg:

In general, I think the farther down the exhaust path you join the wastegate back in, the better. For one thing, the farther down you go, the lower the backpressure is at that point. If you go very far, though, you might want to up the size of the wastegate pipe a bit.

My main concern was the length of pipe between the manifold and the wastegate. My wastegate will be remotely mounted about 12" to 14" away from the turbo.

The wastegate outlet will be merged back into my exhaust about 18" from the turbo on the downpipe.

Lancia used a remote wastegate in their Delta S4 for the group B rally days.

This wastegate is ginormous for the lancia. (2 liter 4 banger I think?)

Hey man, where did you get those pics of that Lancia. I love those cars, but there aren't many websites around for them. Did you see one IRL?