HybridZ

putting together a R200 LSD

Guest darrell

Guest darrell

so i bought a used R200 case with a LSD already in it. but it's got a insane 5.1 to 1 ring gear and who ever put the diff together didnt set the back lash right. the diff is extremely noisy because of the free play. what i want to do now is to put my stock R and P to the case i just bought . i need some info on:

1.how to pull the pinion shaft out, torque specs and all.

2. set back lash

3 and pretty much any things that i need to know.

i've only done a rear end once on a ford 9" so im not too fimilar with rear ends at all. but if i have the correct instructions , im pretty sure i can pull it off. thanks

MUCH MUCH easier to put the LSD into a different 3rd member that has the correct gear set.

If you have to change the gears, zcarnut has posted the Nissan diff manual in the download section. I think I've seen that manual before, and it describes how to use the Nissan special tool to set pinion depth. Since you won't have the special tool, that part gets a little tricky. You can set the pinion depth by looking at the pattern is created when the gears are run on each other, but if you're going to use a previously run gearset you pretty much have to get it dead on, otherwise it will make noise. This is why swapping the LSD is EASY, swapping the gears is not. I'd suggest if you were still going to try it you might try a combo of the info in the download area and this manual: http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/HowTo/TechnicalInstructions/Yukon_Installation_Kit.pdf

That manual is generic enough to have useful information about the pattern and different methods of setting pinion depth, so it may be useful where the Nissan manual is not.

Guest darrell

oh thans. looks like there is a buch of seals and ♥♥♥♥ i need to buy and special tools that i need to use. hope i can find a rear end shop that has the know how and take this job. spacer is not somthing i want to mess with. :(

Unitrax in SoCal (Anaheim I believe) has set up JeffP's diffy, and it's still quiet after countless hours of full-on Dyno Passes, they also did John Coffee's Rusty Old Datsun Diffies (Quaifes)...

Guest darrell

well i live in vancouver canada. it's hard to find a shop that's willing to mess with old parts. there isnt many people who has the hart to do things right around here. and i have problem getting all those tools just to do a rear end.