HybridZ

boost control w/o standalone, what are you using

bryan01

what are people using to control boost on their rb who don't have a standalone that's controlling it?

i had a profec B about 8 years ago on another car and it was good, but used to creep around a little in the high RPM settings (this was an older model of course, dont know if they've changed the design much besides the exterior?) , the new profec B's are going for about 280$ on ebay new, there's also a controller by blitz. i know i can go out and make a 5$ manual controller and pipe it into the cabin, but i'd feel much safer buying an electronic one after everything i've put into this car.

anyone have any preference with either of these on an rb?

I have used, and will continue to use the Greddy Profec S. Its very similar to the Profec B, just newer and utilizes a smaller solenoid.

I have used the Profec B spec 2 and I think its a huge POS, and probably why greddy switched back to the old design on the newer Profec S

I ran a Blitz Spec S for several years on a turbo SR20 and thought it was a great unit. If you want to consistently run more than 1 bar you should get the Spec R, though. The dual solenoid controllers will have much better control at high boost.

- Greg -

i still have the stock turbo on there and don't plan on running more than 1 bar yet because of that, even thou my fuel system is completely redone already. once i replace the turbo (not in the near future, i have LOTS of other stuff to finish before i start upgrading power), i'll turn it up (depending on the turbo of course). as usual i'd rather just buy it once than one now and one when i upgrade. on average the spec r's are more expensive than the others but i've found a few that are the same price. if there's no other input i might go that route. like i said my old profec b could hit a number and stay there. if you set it at 10 it would go to 10 by the spool up rpm but by redline it would have increased 2 or 3 pounds. after messing w/ the gain for a while i was able to decrease this a bit, but it would still move around a little which bugged me. i'm willing to try out something new