HybridZ

Rear end swap advise

I'm looking to swap the rear end in my ZX this weekend and looking for any advise anyone may have. I think I'm going to just install a open rear of the desired gear ratio ( there real cheap here) then put in a Phantom Grip when the the money is there for that type of item. Ever since I installed the 17's the car is a little slower so I'm going to step up in gears to get back to the orginal gearing.

thanks

Sound like you've already got it figured. I assume you are going 3.90 since you should have 3.7s? I've decided I'm going to hold out until Reider Racing finally gets the LSD units from Japan. I wish I bought one 3 years ago when they were only $425...$550 or so now. twak.gif They claim the end of June as of last week :rolleyes: but they said end of May in April. I've decided to go with the 82-83 3.90 and 12mm ring gear to make adding the LSD easier. 2thumbs.gif I'll check backlash of the open carrier/gearset and shim it to equal that with the LSD.

Hmmm. Need to get some diffs and check 'em out. When I first started researching the LSD thing about 5 years ago, the one Reider had said would fit 82 and up rears. I THOUGHT I was sure about the ring gear bolt thing, but I guess more research is in order. Worse case scenario, I get the diff and I'll have some custom bolt sleeves built.