HybridZ

Pilot Bushing hole too big

Dwigley

First time posting, long time reader. I have a 73 240z with a N42/N42 that a PO installed. I'm in the process of swapping the auto for a 83ZX five speed. When I went to install the pilot bushing I found the hole in the back of the crank to be too large. The o.d on the stock Nissan pilot bushing is .815in and the diameter of the hole in my crank is .885in. Has anyone run across this situation? I'm guessing another make of transmission may have been bolted up to this engine at some point?? Thanks for your help.

Chances are great that you still have the flexplate spacer on the end of the crankshaft. Heat it up a bit with a propane torch and pull on it, and VIOLA! the standard L-Engine Pilot hole is BEHIND the spacer---which has a much larger hose to support the pilot spud of the Torque Converter.

Don't feel bad, people always think that spacer is an integral part of the crankshaft, and in some cases have tried bolting the flywheel on to it!

The L6 engine has the same pilot hole for ALL crankshafts: 1969 L20A to 1984+ LD28 and everything in between.

Thanks for the reply TonyD. I'll double check the end of the crank. I remember pulling the outer spacer, pulling the flexplate, and I thought I pulled the inner spacer off of the crank but I could be wrong. While at Nissan, I purchased a "pilot converter" which fits in the center hole of the flywheel but the pilot bearing is too large to fit inside the converter. Can you install a pilot bearing in the flywheel or does it have to go in the end of the crank?

I double checked the crank and both spacers are off. Sombody simply bored the end of the crank for some unknown reason. I've located a bronze bushing with a larger O.D. and will turn it down to fit. Thanks for your help though!!

I double checked the crank and both spacers are off. Sombody simply bored the end of the crank for some unknown reason. I've located a bronze bushing with a larger O.D. and will turn it down to fit. Thanks for your help though!!

Just a thought but, have you considered using oil-lite bronze. Its porous and impregnated with lube. Kinda tough on milling bits but the fact that it lubricates itself is really nice!

Tom