HybridZ

Frontier Truck Engine In a 78 280Z

Guest risingchamp

A clean unbutchered hood line is nice for sure, in fact I prefer the OE hood line. On the other hand, a hood cowl modification, done for the sake of clearing a power plant worthy of being under that hood, also has merit.

Ah, and don’t forget to regularly let the smoke out the rear tires as it will complement any oversized cowl.. :burnout:

Burn2Medium.jpg

Nice! That z28 cowl looks kinda short. Did you shorten it? Would you be able to give me specs? I am trying to decide which one i am going to use for my car.

109-dsc02314.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I know if you get the VG33 motor people have put those into 510's. You can just get the cams for an early 300zx and they should go right in. Thus giving you a 3.3 liter sportscar engine. You could also do an aftermarket intake...

I drive a frontier with the VG33 and it has torque right above idle. It can climb a good hill at 1000RPMs with only slight gas. Very torquey but it sorta runs out by 3500RPMs. I'm sure with Z31 stuff you could make one pretty quick.

Is this on the VG33 SuperCharged model or the non FI model or both?

• 10 months later...

I'm bringing this thread up from the dead but I wanted to put the correct info in here.

Is this on the VG33 SuperCharged model or the non FI model or both?

Just a 175hp N/A VG33 in a heavy 2004 crewcab shortbed. The bad thing is that my Frontier is way faster than my Z was and it gets better gas mileage. :rolleyesg

The VG33E cams are actually a good bit smaller than stock Z31 cams.

USDM VG33 Cams (all) 240/244 .354"/.354""

USDM VG30(Z31) 242/242 Turbo and non .385"/.385"

.031" difference in lift between the two in lift but basically the same duration.

Also the VG33 won't really rev higher than 6000. It is computer limited with a soft limiter yes, but it makes so little power up there that it isn't worth it to go that high. Bigger N/A cams and a low restriction intake would turn it into a beast.

BRAAP always showing his ol' 440BBZ with crappy plastic tires......:mrgreen:

The main problem with a VG33 is getting off the shelf forged pistons for a turbo conversion. I know custom pistons are available but that introduces a bit of the unknown factor. Not sure that a high capacity oil pump is available either.

But other than that the VG33 basically has a lot going for it.

• 1 month later...

The 4.0 liter motor out of the new Frontiers would be a blast to have in a old Z. Stillen makes a supercharger that bumps hp up to around 400hp. Nissan Sport magazine has one on a Pathfinder that they speak highly of. Remember starting in 2005 all Pathfinders, Xterra's and Frontiers came with the 4.0 liter. In the Pathfinder it got an aditional 10 hp to 275. Also in the trucks and Xterra's there is a 6 speed manual available.

I have driven the 6 speed King cab trucks and they are a blast.