HybridZ

Frontier Truck Engine In a 78 280Z

Guest risingchamp

Guest risingchamp

I seen a new Frontier today that was wrecked from the back. It got the wheels turning in my head as to whether or not any one has attempted a swap a late model Frontier engine into a early model z. If it's even possible would it be worth it to have a truck engine in your classic car? I checked out the specs on theVQ40DE from the Nissan site. According to Nissan this year's Frontier puts out 261hp, 281tq and has three transmission options, a 5 speed auto, a 5 speed manual, and 6 speed manual. If the engine swap is possible, could one of these trannys bolt up to a Z with a custom drive shaft?

Guest risingchamp

Ok, day one and nobody loves me. My passive aggressive tendencies have only proceeded to rise slightly.

I was just checking out Nissan again. It seems Nismo backs the Frontier with some pretty cool mods. That means some one is out there working on these things. But where are you my gear head friends. ANSWER ME! ! ! . . . Hmm. .em . . . please. . .

That would be a neat swap. although it would seem to be a lot of work for 260 fly wheel HP. I guess it would depend on the aftermarket. I would think that the truck cams wouldnt be too great but who knows. Also would depend on how much you could get the motor tranny and harness for.

welcome to the site. i dont think its that nobody loves you lol but probably that the people who have seen this thread dont know and dont want to give you false information. I dont know if it would work but sounds like a really cool swap.

Jon

Guest risingchamp

Thanks for the replies guys. I heard of a couple people doing a swap with a Maxima VQ and 350Z tranny. That seemed like a really cool swap to me, but even more work since you are mounting a front wheel drive engine to a rear wheel drive car, thus the need for the Z 6 speed. I've always wondered why these guys did'nt just use the more beastly like Z VQ for the swap, and just pull the engine and tranny together. Then I also remembered thinking that there is most likely a considerable difference in price between a Maxima engine and a Z engine. The price difference probly being justified by the difference in tuned in Hp, the Maxima having 255hp and the Z having 306hp. When I saw this truck it made think, there is an engine and tranny combo that could maybe perform as well as the Maxima swap with less work and possibly for whole lot less money too (If the dam things even fit in the car). I also figured that all that down low torque you'd would get from a truck engine might amount to some surprising stuff off the line in such a small car as the early model Zs.

Why are truck cams bad? What other disadvantages come with a truck engine?

Trucks are usually cammed for low end torque and a nice fat powerband. Sometimes they match that with narrow runner heads and intakes to keep the flow velocities up. All of that means they don't always breathe well at higher RPMS thus giving up ultimate performance for low end grunt.

I know if you get the VG33 motor people have put those into 510's. You can just get the cams for an early 300zx and they should go right in. Thus giving you a 3.3 liter sportscar engine. You could also do an aftermarket intake...

I drive a frontier with the VG33 and it has torque right above idle. It can climb a good hill at 1000RPMs with only slight gas. Very torquey but it sorta runs out by 3500RPMs. I'm sure with Z31 stuff you could make one pretty quick.

Guest risingchamp

Did the VG33 come with a tranny combo that bolts up easily to a early model z? Does any body remember what the hp was with that 300zx cam set up.

Did the VG33 come with a tranny combo that bolts up easily to a early model z? Does any body remember what the hp was with that 300zx cam set up.

VG30's and VG33 use the same cam profile in cars & trucks. turbo, Supercharged and N/A all use the same cams.

the only advantage to the VG33 is you can bore it out to 3.4L (89mm) and the OE crank gear on the VG33 alows you to run a 100K mile timing belt.

swaping a VG33 into a early Z would be exatly like swaping in a VG30 in every pissible way.

The trucks with VG30's all made more HP and TQ over there Z31 brothers through inovative intake manifold reaserch & development. Thats why so many Z31 owers swap to 93-97 Pickup/ Pathfinder intake manifolds.

Yeah, those new VQ40's are pretty sweet. With some boost they would be absolutely insane. I've not really seen anyone mod any yet myself but I've not been on many Nissan truck sites so I don't know what all they have. I wouldn't think 400 hp would be all that hard to accomplish though. The VQ's are stout engines and being designed for a truck, I would think the VQ40 would have beefier internals than the VQ35, stock for stock.

The VQ's are stout engines and being designed for a truck, I would think the VQ40 would have beefier internals than the VQ35, stock for stock.

~6000 RPM redline, high compression (9.7:1 according to a web search) make it not a very good choice. It's basically just a torquier VQ35, at the expense of horsepower obviously. The block must be overbored so it would be even weaker.

They can't be cheap, either. Just go V8 if youre not gonna go inline.

- Greg -

Actually I know for sure it has a higher deck than the VQ35 so its likely the stroke that makes up the displacement difference and the lower redline. That means with boost it would likely have a very broad torque curve, which would be very fun. 9.7:1 is somewhat high... but doesn't mean you can't run boost. You could run low boost and still make quite a bit of power, just supply it with enough fuel and it won't have any problems.

A V8 would definitely be nice but I'd personally take a V6 over an inline.

the advantages of the 4.0 are length compared to v8 or inline 6, weight and it is a nissan motor. the problems are long stroke- lower redline?- not

alot of aftermarket. hey but arent we talking about swapping nonstock motors

anywayso a little creative thinking is the norm. i personally would also use a v8 probably a 4.6 4v ford or maybe 5.6 nissan but hey i think the 4.0 v6 sounds different and i like that.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest risingchamp

I bought one of the JTR Books years ago and it talked about the advantages of using the TPI & TBI truck small blocks in drag applications. Now if I could only find the dam thing. Anyway the only reason I mention it at all, is because I'm curious if the same principles would apply to Nissan truck engines. Does any one out there remember the TPI & TBI book.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind that the vq35 is a tall motor. If the vq40 has a taller deck height by any significant amount that might make it a bad option for a z. One vq swap I saw (might have been on hybridz) the guy had 3" of ground clearance for his oil pan, and looked like the intake still wouldn't clear the hood. The oil pan is only like 2" deep below the casting that extends very far down the bottom of the engine, so shortening the pan wouldn't be an option. Take a look at some of the other vq swaps ppl are doing and you'll see the hurdles in your way. I'm not trying to discourage you in any way, if you have the skill and the cash it can probably still be done, but is it the right choice for you?

• Administrators
how can u let deck height pose itself as a problem? it's nothing an oversized cowl hood can't fix, right?

A clean unbutchered hood line is nice for sure, in fact I prefer the OE hood line. On the other hand, a hood cowl modification, done for the sake of clearing a power plant worthy of being under that hood, also has merit.

Ah, and don’t forget to regularly let the smoke out the rear tires as it will complement any oversized cowl.. :burnout:

Burn2Medium.jpg