HybridZ

VQ30DET RWD 5 speed gearbox?

Guest MARKTURBO

Guest MARKTURBO

Hi guys,

What 5 speed manual gearbox can I use to run a VQ30DET in rear wheel drive.

What vehicle would the donor be from?

Are adapter plates required?

Any comment would be great.

Thanks

That I know of, there was never any 5-speed offered with the VQ30DET. It would definitely be nice as the 5-speed would match a boosted VQ a little better than the 6-speed... but, the 6-speed would be your only option unless you go with an adapter plate.

• 11 months later...
Guest Flintstone Charlie

Good Morning All,

I'm exploring the concept of a VQ30 swap into a Roadster. The engine should be a reasonably easy fit. The challenge will be the transmission.

The Z 6-Speed will have an interference issue with the frame. For those of you not aquainted with the roadsers, they are built on full X-frame rather than being a unibody car. So, the transmission fitment concern isn't so much a length issue as the transmission width at the tail. Of course, steel is negotiable and I could modify the X portion of the frame to provide the needed clearance. However, a more logical route might be to work out a 5-Speed setup via an adaptor.

So, what might be the simplest transmission to adapt? How is the bellhousing pattern of the VQ different than the VG or L engine? What does it take to adapt the transmission?

As I understand it the Z 6-Speed is the only RWD transmission that will bolt up. Correct? Obviously the Pathfinder has RWD. Is transfer case seperate from the transmission or is there a 2WD confguration? I'm guessing not since I haven't found anything anywhere that seems to offer it as an option. Does anyone know if there may be a frankenstein transmission option? Something like a Pathfinder front case half bolted to a RWD version of the same tramsmission?

They do SR 20 swaps on these cars without a great deal of modification and in some ways the VQ looks like it might fit a little better.

Thanks in advance for any ideas. Obviously, since I'm contemplating putting a VQ in a roadster I'm willing to enertain even crazy ideas....

Charlie

Guest Flintstone Charlie

Good Morning All,

I'm exploring the concept of a VQ30 swap into a Roadster. The engine should be a reasonably easy fit. The challenge will be the transmission.

The Z 6-Speed will have an interference issue with the frame. For those of you not aquainted with the roadsers, they are built on full X-frame rather than being a unibody car. So, the transmission fitment concern isn't so much a length issue as the transmission width at the tail. Of course, steel is negotiable and I could modify the X portion of the frame to provide the needed clearance. However, a more logical route might be to work out a 5-Speed setup via an adaptor.

So, what might be the simplest transmission to adapt? How is the bellhousing pattern of the VQ different than the VG or L engine? What does it take to adapt the transmission?

As I understand it the Z 6-Speed is the only RWD transmission that will bolt up. Correct? Obviously the Pathfinder has RWD. Is the transfer case seperate from the transmission or is there a 2WD confguration? I'm guessing not since I haven't found anything anywhere that seems to offer it as an option. Does anyone know if there may be a frankenstein transmission option? Something like a Pathfinder front case half bolted to a RWD version of the same tramsmission?

They do SR 20 swaps on these cars without a great deal of modification and in some ways the VQ looks like it might fit a little better.

Thanks in advance for any ideas. Obviously, since I'm contemplating putting a VQ in a roadster I'm willing to enertain even crazy ideas....

Charlie