HybridZ

In the constant search for bigger, wider, lighter, cheaper rims for our Z's I came upon this site:

http://urbanimport.com/wheels_tires_rota_d2.htm

They have several possiblities that seem like they could work on our 4 x 114.3 bolt pattern. Personally I'd like to fit the biggest rims that would work with coilovers under stock fenders...but I'm not opposed to rolling the lips a little. I'd also like a nice offset that would require narrow or even no spacer whatsoever.

So for 17's they have a package that includes (2) 17 x7.5's for the front and (2) 17 x 8.5's for the back with 20mm offset for $670 shipped. Of course you could go with (4) 17 x 7.5's or (4) 17 x 8.5's as well.

I think most people think that 18's are too large for our Z's, but If you want to step up to 18's they have (2) 18 x 8's and (2) 18 x 9's for $850 shipped with a 25mm offset. You could also get (4) 18 x 8's or (4) 18x9's.

I don't know the weights of these wheels, but the price seems pretty decent.

I like those wheels. Would the 20mm offset still require spacers even if coilovers are used? That would be awesome if they fit the stock fenders and all without spacers. Due to the angle of the strut towers I would think that with 17's or 18's you could get away with more offset than with smaller wheels. Anyone know?

Thanks for posting those Kodiak's, but that's too rich for my blood.

So, based on being able to buy just about any size you want, which is what Kodiak seems to offer, is 17 x 8.5 all the way around the best size to get? I'm talking about a setup with coilovers and fitting under stock fenders for street and autocross purposes. Would a staggered setup help, or for autocross do you want the same size all the way around?

BTW - What is the offset on those Kodiak's and does it require 8" springs on the back?

Guest 280ZForce

Bart...here are some other wheels some one pointed out to me you might like... they are 17x9s w/ +15mm offset for $150/wheel! They weigh in at right under 23 lbs/rim. They look just like those Rota D2s but cheaper and a lil wider even. Not sure if they will clear or not, but maybe someone else will know.

http://phase2motorsports.stores.yahoo.net/elitewheels.html

So, based on being able to buy just about any size you want, which is what Kodiak seems to offer, is 17 x 8.5 all the way around the best size to get?

IMHO, a 245 width tire is about the biggest that fit reasonably well under unmodified fenders. Some folks run bigger but that limits tire selection especially if you want to run DOT-R tires. There are lots of 245 width 16s, 17s, and 18s out there. EDIT: A 245 width tire fits well on a 8.5" wide tire. A 9" would be better for a DOT-R tire but you'll have fender clearance issues. I tried a 245/45-16 Hoosier A3S03 on a 9" wide rim and the overall section width was 10". It did not fit the back of the car.

I'm talking about a setup with coilovers and fitting under stock fenders for street and autocross purposes. Would a staggered setup help, or for autocross do you want the same size all the way around?

Same size all around. Staggered just creates tradeoffs until you modify the car enough to get a 5% rear bias. Then a staggered setup is of some benefit.

BTW - What is the offset on those Kodiak's and does it require 8" springs on the back?

When dealing with custom wheels, offset is irrelevant. The measurement you're concerned about is backspace. A 5" backspace will work with 10" or 8" coil overs.

Bart...here are some other wheels some one pointed out to me you might like... they are 17x9s w/ +15mm offset for $150/wheel! They weigh in at right under 23 lbs/rim. They look just like those Rota D2s but cheaper and a lil wider even. Not sure if they will clear or not, but maybe someone else will know.

http://phase2motorsports.stores.yahoo.net/elitewheels.html

Thanks for this info, but it sounds like 8.5" will work better than 9". I've been trying to find the wieght of the Rota D2 17 x 8.5, and it looks like they weigh 19lbs each. Not too bad for the size.

When dealing with custom wheels, offset is irrelevant. The measurement you're concerned about is backspace. A 5" backspace will work with 10" or 8" coil overs.

Based on this graph it looks like that would equate to somewhere around a 6 mm offset.

tech-wheeloffset.gif

It may vary, but that at least gives me a ballpark estimate.

The Rota RB's should be out soon and they may have the proper offset, size and weight at a resonable price.

http://www.rotawheel.com/rb1.htm