HybridZ

Longer shoulder bolts CV S31 Turbo Modern Motorsports

zgeezer

Two years ago, I purchased MM's adaptor for CV joints. My half shafts are the 4 bolt version off a '89 300ZT. Today, when I mocked up the half shafts I found that the stock shouldered CV turbo bolts extend only 1/4 inch or so through the MM adaptor. In short, I appear to have only 2-3 threads to screw into the nuts.

The outer CV cage has been reversed and every thing fits well. The only problem in that the original bolts are too short.

The two local parts houses have nothing in stock that has the same tapered shoulder and a longer threaded portion.

Have those of you who have used MM's CV adaptors run into this problem? If so, what was your solution? Yeah, I know... longer bolts; but where did you get them? Is there a stock solution?

thanks,

g

Two years ago, I purchased MM's adaptor for CV joints. My half shafts are the 4 bolt version off a '89 300ZT. Today, when I mocked up the half shafts I found that the stock shouldered CV turbo bolts extend only 1/4 inch or so through the MM adaptor. In short, I appear to have only 2-3 threads to screw into the nuts.

The outer CV cage has been reversed and every thing fits well. The only problem in that the original bolts are too short.

The two local parts houses have nothing in stock that has the same tapered shoulder and a longer threaded portion.

Have those of you who have used MM's CV adaptors run into this problem? If so, what was your solution? Yeah, I know... longer bolts; but where did you get them? Is there a stock solution?

g

cvbolt_nut.JPG

Here is a photo for a clearer look. As these bolts will be subject to quite some stress, I want to do this the right [safe] way. I need about .225 inch additional shank length. These are M10 x 1.25 and 1 1/8 inch long. The shoulder appears to have a steeper taper than my other Datsun shouldered bolts. I don't know, but think these are a grade 8.8 [is there a difference scale in hardness grading for metric vs sae bolts?] The shoulder fits into the CV flange, but d/n appear to extend beyond it. The MM adaptors are drilled to accept only the m10 threaded shank and not the tapered shoulder.

Any parts numbers out there?

g

thanks,

I don't know, but think these are a grade 8.8 [is there a difference scale in hardness grading for metric vs sae bolts?]

I'm not sure about your CV issue but Metric class 8.8 is equal to SAE grade 5. Metric 10.9 is equal to SAE 8. There is also a Metric 12.9 that SAE has no equivalent. Checkout the following reference from Elgin Fastners:

http://www.elginfasteners.com/metric.htm

M10 x 1.25p bolts are considered a "special pitch" and are a little difficult to find in grade 10.9. I am able to get them through my Wurth account rep. Try a German fastener supplier or http://www.nutsandbolts.com

Thanks folks. Apparently, these are 10.9 [no marking on hex head] .

By the way, is Ross still in business? His website is up, but no responses to email.

g