HybridZ

Shimming the crank pulley?

Hey guys,

I've got the ZX all back together and drove it for the first time with the V8 this weekend. The only problem is the pulleys for the alternator and the water pump don't line up with the crank pulley, i.e. the V-belt grooves on the crank pulley are ~1/4 inch too far rearward. This caused the belt to jump off (which I didn't notice) and overheat.

DSCF1277.jpg

So can I just shim the pulley with washers? I don't really want to shell out 95 bones to get a serpentine water pump and alternator pulley.

Looks to me like you have a long nose water pump but need a short nose water pump. What kind of pulley is that on the water pump, looks aftermarket? If so does the belt fit with the stock pulley? Also did you piece this motor together or did you get as one assembley?(did the belt ever line up?).

I wouldn't try shimming it. It might work but I dont think having the crank pulley on halfway would be safe, it might vibrate loose easier and fly off.

Guy

Get the correct pulley, don't shim it.

I can't tell which WP pulley that is from the picture, but if its for a Short water pump, get the long WP pulley. If that doesn't work, go pick up a new 2 groove crank pulley w/o the serp belt grooves. That should work if you have the correct WP pulley for the WP.

There are 2 different available WP pulleys...one for the long WP like you linked to, and one for the short waterpump. If you ordered the exact pulley that you linked to, then you have the correct pulley for your waterpump, and need a 3 groove crank pulley.