HybridZ

Quaife R200 For 1983 280ZXT

danj

I realize this may seem similar to the many threads that have addressed this subject but I have spent hours reading those threads and am still left with some unanswered questions.

1. Is the Quaife unit an effective "straight line" LSD performer for 500-650 HP

in an 83 280ZX 383 stroker? Need someone with drag experience here!

2. Is it worth the extra $600 and the shipping hassle to send my R200 open unit to Modern Motorsports for them to do a rebuild and send it back Quaifed? I can purchase the unit for $1420 from OptionsAuto.com instead of the package deal for $2,025 from MMS.

3. Is there a conversion kit available or necessary to do the reinstall? Any other parts to consider replacing while I have the unit out?

4. Are there instructions available anywhere for making this upgrade in an 83 280ZXT?

I read and learned a lot from the threads on the various diff's. It did seem that a lot of the information was speculative or hearsay, and few contributors actually had drag raced with the Quaife LSD, or converted it into a ZX.

Any specific help on these remaining questions would be appreciated. If it weren't for you HybridZ guys I would not be driving and enjoying my 383 280ZX.

Thanks Much,

Danj

For drag use I don't think a Quaife is necessary. A Powerbrute clutch pack LSD will work well in a drag application and its probably 40% cheaper then the Quaife. Shop installation on the bench is typically $400 and up depending on bearings replaced so if you do it locally the cost will be around $1,800.

Thanks for the input. I expect to be on the street 97% of the time and likely less than 3% at the strip, so I do need a daily driver alternative as well as launch and straight line accelleration. I have read in the threads that the Quaife may not be as effective in straight line drag racing but is very driveable for cornering and decel. If it locks nicely on launch then it seems to be the all-pupose choice, but I haven't heard from anyone with specific straight line drag experience running the Quaife.

Am also concerned about the strength of the billets as was reported in another thread that is underway. Once I add the 150 NOS shot I will be near 650 HP, so the strength of the weakest link is a big concern. The local guys are pushing the Ford 9" as the bullet proof alternative.

What do you think.

DanJ

i beleive that the quaife ATB is a great option for drag racing and street cars

firstly it is a torque equalising mechanism(auto torque biasing-ATB i think) that does not rely on clutches as many lsd's do so is pretty consistent with use over time not requiring adjustment

as you mentioned you don't get the binding of wheels in slow speed/tight turning maneuvers

they have a full replacement/repair guarantee regardless of the application,ie drag/race

the only application i would hesitate would be rallying where you are likely to lift a wheel on the rear....some may say the same in track racing as well,but that is likely to be rectified by suspension work if you are serious.....in this event the centre acts as an open wheeler as it cannot equalise the torque between the wheels as only one is driving at that point

i paid considerably less for my ATB on this side of the world but not sure if these suppliers have a policy about not stepping on each others toes

above info my personal opinion only

good luck with it

paul

i beleive that the quaife ATB is a great option for drag racing and street cars

firstly it is a torque equalising mechanism(auto torque biasing-ATB i think) that does not rely on clutches as many lsd's do so is pretty consistent with use over time not requiring adjustment

Some people here have had to adjust them due to spinning the inside tire in corners. The gears do wear on the case and although I'm not sure about the Quaife itself, the knockoff OBX uses belleville springs to set preload, in what might be considered a similar fashion as a clutch type LSD.