HybridZ

4wd 240z

Guest Death69

Guest TeamNissan

I def agree that the rear is IRS by looking at the vid. I don't see why you would have to mess with much in the rear anyway besides the standard upgrades like the tubular control arms, cvs, lsd etc... Maybe just the front is petrol related.

Maybe he sat the engine front/mid (hense the 2+2?)and fabed up a bracket for a r200 then used petrol front end components, like the hubs. Hilux tranny with custom f/r drive shafts and front cvs.

Idk though I'm sure there is a host of ways it could be done. Think we are guessing until some solid info comes along. Spy shots? lol

Hilux tranny with custom f/r drive shafts and front cvs.

Just the Hilux transfer case... I'm guessing it's divorced (not bolted to tranny)

I don't need to think about this... It's tempting to resolve traction problems that my engine will give me.

The easy tranny to use if staying Nissan (and had $$$$) would be the RB26DETT Atessa tranny...

Didn't some of the high end Q45's have the atessa setup?

• Administrators

The GMC Typhoon and Cyclone, (factory Turbo charged 4.3-L AWD rocket ships), used the 2004R tranny married to a transfer case. The Summit Racing Quadradeuce utilized a Typhoon/Cyclone transfer case that they successfully married it to a T-56. I have also heard that the AWD GMC Safari and its sister the AWD Chevy Astro van with the 4.3 engine utilized the “same” transfer case as the Typhoon and Cyclone.

Any how, with the JTR V-8 conversion, there is “maybe” enough room to get an R-180 or R-200 up front. An R-180 should be plenty beefy enough for a front diff, even for a built V-8. There should definitely be enough room with the shorter turbocharged 4.3 front front diff in an S-30, or set the V-8 further back in the chassis. Biggest issue is getting the driveshaft from the transfer case up to the front diff without loosing too much foot well space….

QuadraDuece article...

Guest TeamNissan

You know actually the rb26 tranny isn't that much money. I bought one like 2 years ago for a z32 awd project from quoc's (240zmaster) friend along with the oil pan and front drive shaft for 550 shipped from cali. Wasn't until someone stole my z32 that I quit and resold it all. I had also bought a front clip short the engine and usual things people buy it for leaving the complete suspension/cvs/brakes for like 200 bucks. Its really a tempting proposition.

The GMC Typhoon and Cyclone, (factory Turbo charged 4.3-L AWD rocket ships), used the 2004R tranny married to a transfer case. The Summit Racing Quadradeuce utilized a Typhoon/Cyclone transfer case that they successfully married it to a T-56. I have also heard that the AWD GMC Safari and its sister the AWD Chevy Astro van with the 4.3 engine utilized the “same†transfer case as the Typhoon and Cyclone.

Any how, with the JTR V-8 conversion, there is “maybe†enough room to get an R-180 or R-200 up front. An R-180 should be plenty beefy enough for a front diff, even for a built V-8. There should definitely be enough room with the shorter turbocharged 4.3 front front diff in an S-30, or set the V-8 further back in the chassis. Biggest issue is getting the driveshaft from the transfer case up to the front diff without loosing too much foot well space….

QuadraDuece article...

Syclone's and Typhoon's do not use a 2004r, they use 700r4's. Although Turbo Buicks ie Grand National's, Turbo-T's do use 2004r's...

• Administrators
Syclone's and Typhoon's do not use a 2004r, they use 700r4's. Although Turbo Buicks ie Grand National's, Turbo-T's do use 2004r's...

My apologies gentlemen. shy.gif The information I posted regarding the 2004R trans for the Cyclone and Typhoon was incorrect. They both use the 700R4 trans. Thank you Z-noob bgiorno.gif for catching that and correcting my error.

To further interest in possibly using the GM transfer case, I was able to dig up the manufacture and model of the Cyclone/Typhoon transfer case…

Borg Warner 1372/4472.

The GMC Typhoon was a high-performance version of the GMC Jimmy SUV. Produced in 1992 and 1993' date=' the Typhoon was based on the 1991 GMC Jimmy SUV.

Both the Syclone and Typhoon (SyTy) trucks featured a Mitsubishi TD06-17C/8cm2 turbocharger and Garrett Water/Air intercooler attached to a 4.3 L LB4 V6 engine with forged pistons, main caps, head gaskets, intake manifolds, fuel system, exhaust manifolds, and a 48mm twin-bore throttle body from the 5.7 L GM Small-Block engine. All SyTy's had a GM 700R4 transmission (4L60) 4-speed automatic transmission and a BorgWarner 1372/4472 transfer case splitting torque with 35% forward and 65% to the rear wheels.

[/quote']

Got some info on the Borg Warner 1372/4472 T-case from the following link(page 10):

Different descriptions seperated by lines...

1372* GM 90-97 S Blazer Trk/Bravada/

Cyclone/Typhoon with random

pitch

HV-033

3/8 Pitch x 1-3/4 W x 86 Pitches - RJ

Note: 1 Blue Link & Combination Round/

Square Link Backs

4472 GM

90-97 L Van HV-032 3/8 Pitch x 1-3/4 W x 86 Pitches - RP

Note: 2 Blue Links & Rounded Link Backs

Straight Pitch

4472 GM

90-97 S10/96 Van Safari HV-033 3/8 Pitch x 1-3/4 W x 86 Pitches - RJ

Note: 1 Blue Link & Combination Round/

Square Link Backs Random Pitch

GM L Van All Wheel Drive Astro, Safari, and Cargo Applications with BW 1372/4472 Transfer Case - HV032 (Straight Pitch)

The HV032 and the HV033 applications should not be consolidated or substituted for each other. The

HV032 is a straight pitch design, and the HV033 is a random pitch design. If the rebuilder uses the

HV033 Random Patterned Chain in the L Van application, the vehicle operator may hear an

unsatisfactory “moan” or “boom” noise from the vehicle's driveline during operation.

Conversely, if the HV032 straight pitch chain (all rounded back links) is used in the GM

S Blazer truck, the Bravada, Cyclone, and Typhoon applications that use the BW 1372/4472

with a random chain design, the vehicle owner will hear a whistle or whining noise.

I'd like to hear some thoughts here...

:-D

Just from my thinking it feels that the van T-cases would be stronger since they had to carry more load.

There is another possible alternative using OE parts...

Since VG and RB transmissions have the same center plate bellhousing bolt pattern...(is the AWD RB the same center bolt pattern as the RWD tranny?)

get a Z32 VG bell-housing,

Machine your adapter for engine of choice if not using VG engine (in my case it would be a vh45 for which an adapter is available from mazworks),

AWD RB26 tranny bolted to VG bellhousing,

Front frontier/other R200/R180 offset to passenger side,

Other front suspension, (from almost any FWD car with McPhereson struts)

Things to consider:

Steering(maybe upgrade to power steering with all the extra weight)

suspension mounting points

reinforcement of frame/tube frame

mounting engine without stock crossmember(slightly offset to driver's side for diff mounting?)

redo brake system

Hubs

built with parts readily available in junkyards/cheap at parts stores so it is very service-able.

Obviously this isn't for the feint of heart, fabrication skills, or engineering ability.

Would it be with it?

Drag car: Doubt it

Autocross: most likely...what class?

Road racing: maybe with using lighter R180/R160 diffs with decent gearing.

Street: depends...snow? hehe

Rally: yup! for sure

Weapon: ABSOLUTELY!

Is it right for ME? I dunno yet. Would be a great shop car to display fabrication skills...

:wink:

I've always wanted to try my hand at hillclimb/rally racing...

My apologies gentlemen. shy.gif The information I posted regarding the 2004R trans for the Cyclone and Typhoon was incorrect. They both use the 700R4 trans. Thank you Z-noob bgiorno.gif for catching that and correcting my error.

To further interest in possibly using the GM transfer case, I was able to dig up the manufacture and model of the Cyclone/Typhoon transfer case…

Borg Warner 1372/4472.

No biggie, I have owned a Syclone, Typhoon, Grand National and a T-Limited...:o