HybridZ

Chevy Motor to Datsun 5 speed adapter? Swap tips for new guy?

Guest Erich

Guest Erich

I am just starting to look into doing a motor swap in my 1974 260Z as I have seized my 6cyl up. I already have a solid Chevy 355 and turbo 350 tranny but I really want to keep my car a 5 speed since it is so fun to take into corners. Unfortunately I don't have the money to buy a new Chevy manual transmission or even a nice Muncie and don't want to risk getting one out of a junk yard Iroc.

I have heard of an adapter kit to mount your Chevy motor right up to a Datsun 5 speed but after weeks of researching I haven't found anything. Since I figured you guys are experts on V8 swaps, or at least have a lot more experienced than me I thought you may be able to point me in the right direction.

The motor is out of a 1970 Chevy Nova and the tranny is out of a 1975 280Z.

So has anyone heard of this, and does anyone know where I can get it?

Also if anyone has any recommendations on a swap kit I am all ears. I am thinking about going with the JTR kit since their v8 radiator was so easy to install and has worked so great. I know different kits cater to different wants, I want my motor to sit pretty far back but I am more concerned with ease of installation over anything else since this will be my first custom motor swap.

If anyone has had experience with the JTR kit and has an opinion on it I would really like to know what you thought of it and if you have any little tips I should know before diving right in.

Also if anyone has already had experience with the welding portion of this swap and would like to make some extra cash or would like to trade an extra pair of hands on one of their projects for some welding help let me know and I will contact you as soon as I get to that point.

I know this post is long, but as I said I am just getting into this and still have tons of questions, so if anyone knows of any other great websites about Datsun v8 swaps, besides this of course, I would really like to know

Welcome the forum, its quite evident that you have not searched as every single question you've asked has been answered.

To start, while budget swaps ARE possible (I think braap and rontyler did one for around 2k), if you CAN'T afford your transmission you should rethink building a hybrid:

1) Adapter plates are not cheap to begin with (not to mention no one makes one)

2) The Datsun 5 spd will not hold up to the power of a 350 easily.

3) There is nothing wrong with junk yard transmissions you're taking a bigger risk on the Datsun 5spd than a Chevy 5spd or Muncie 4spd to hold SBC power.

I'm going to provide you with some links, to get you started. However don't expect to get spoon fed around here.

http://forums.hybridz.org/announcement.php?f=93&a=2

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=565472

http://www.jagsthatrun.com

You will more than likely want to upgrade your rear end to an R-200 (search "R-200 swap"). Also search for motor mount options there are a couple of good threads out there.

Good luck searching...

Tyson

Guest Erich

Ok, thanks for the advice and the links.

I have been searching on google but just started searching through this forum today. As I said I have not started tearing things apart yet, I just wanted to get a good base before I start buying things that I will not end up needing. Next time I have a question I will search the forum first.

Also just out of curiosity did those 2k budget builds include the price of the motor and transmission? Since I already have both of those I am currently thinking more and more of dropping my turbo 350 in and changing it back to a manual when I end up getting some more cash. Maybe the auto will even end up growing on me since it will be so much power in such a small car.

how about selling the TH350 and using the funds to get a muncie, etc?

Thats great advice.

Another thing to think about, since money is a concern, is get the transmission you want, even if it takes some patience while you save the money. Otherwise you will most likely waste money to get your "temporary" transmission to work. I know in theory it sounds cheaper to try to use your Datsun transmission, but it never works that way :banghead: ......crossmember won't work, driveshaft needs to be shortened, or something else....and then you'd be spending money that could have been going towards the transmission you really wanted.

Also if anyone has any recommendations on a swap kit I am all ears. I am thinking about going with the JTR kit since their v8 radiator was so easy to install and has worked so great. I know different kits cater to different wants, I want my motor to sit pretty far back but I am more concerned with ease of installation over anything else since this will be my first custom motor swap.

If anyone has had experience with the JTR kit and has an opinion on it I would really like to know what you thought of it and if you have any little tips I should know before diving right in.

I've only done 1 swap, and I used the Hooker/Scarab mounts. It was very easy.....I actually did it alone with a hoist and a load leveler. For ease of installation, I think (but not from experience since I've never done a JTR swap) that the Hooker/Scarab kit is easier to install. Since you like running the car deep into corners, you would probably like the handling and lighter steering of the JTR kit......but I would ask someone who's had both.

If I'm not mistakening, you can use the JTR radiator with the Hooker/Scarab engine position.

Guest Erich

I have pretty much decided to go with the turbo 350 and to continue to use my motorcycle for my obsession with corners and just turn my Datsun into a bad ass hot rod in black primer, like most of my other Chevys have been.

Teekass (or Chris) thanks so much for your friendly advice. You have pretty much answered exactly what I wanted to know, I only wanted to use the Datsun 5 speed was because I had thought it would be cheap and easy to use the transmission adapter kit since I could use all the stock transmission mounts, clutch linkage, drive shaft etc. and then simply buy some JTR motor mounts and bolt and wire my Chevy motor right in. Obviously this is not the case. Thank you for taking the time to explain and give examples to me as opposed to complaining that I have not taken enough time to research.

I see you are using the TH350 in your hybrid, I was curious if you have driven it yet, if so how you like it and how much you have spent so far on parts? Also did you also use the Scarab kit for the transmission?

lbhsbZ Thanks for explaining, someone had told me you could get them and they were only like $120 bucks, thanks for clearing that up.

Teekass (or Chris) thanks so much for your friendly advice. You have pretty much answered exactly what I wanted to know, I only wanted to use the Datsun 5 speed was because I had thought it would be cheap and easy to use the transmission adapter kit since I could use all the stock transmission mounts, clutch linkage, drive shaft etc. and then simply buy some JTR motor mounts and bolt and wire my Chevy motor right in. Obviously this is not the case. Thank you for taking the time to explain and give examples to me as opposed to complaining that I have not taken enough time to research.

I see you are using the TH350 in your hybrid, I was curious if you have driven it yet, if so how you like it and how much you have spent so far on parts? Also did you also use the Scarab kit for the transmission?

Your welcome, I'm glad I could help.

I love my th350. It has a manual valve body in it, so its fun to drive and shifts really well. With the 3.54 rear end ratio, it's not a very practical highway car (I know that's not what you're looking for, but I wanted to warn you anyway), but thats ok with me, since I just want it be be 1/4 mile straight line type car....As far as RPM's at highway speeds, I wouldn't be able to say. I have an 8 inch nitrous converter thats pretty loose, so I don't see much under 2,500. I'm sure someone else could tell you though.

How much did I spend on parts, hmmm.... I've taken my time, and bought exactly what I wanted whenever I saved the money. I could've done it cheaper, but I didn't want to do it that way. I already had the long block assembly, carburetor, converter and transmission......so not including the cost of them, I'd say I've spent around 6 grand on the car. This includes things that you might not need though: suspension bushings, strut cartridges, rotors, calipers, fuel pump, braided hose, radiator, headers ($600.00.....ouch), distributor, starter, oil pump, oil pan....etc. If I already had a complete running engine, I would guess it could be put in and running for:

JTR swap kit 275

Headers 200

JTR radiator 140

Hoses for radiator and heater 50

Taurus Fan (junk yard) 50

Exhaust 500

Driveshaft 350 (you could get a cheaper one....this is what mine cost with a new slip yoke and spicer u-joints)

JTR Driveshaft adapter flange 65

Shifter 150

I'm sure I forgot some small stuff, but thats 1,780.00 and bare bones just to get it running....no gauges, etc.

Also did you also use the Scarab kit for the transmission?

I called Hooker, and they don't make the crossmember anymore. I used JTR's crossmember (DAT-106) along with a spacer (from JTR also, but I don't see it on their web site) between the transmission mount and the crossmember. If you use the JTR motor mounts, you won't need this spacer though. In the first picture you can see the crossmember and the aluminum spacer, in the second picture you can see how the notches in the crossmember help with the exhaust.

DSC03198.JPG

DSC03234.JPG

Good luck, and remember to enjoy the journey!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 350datsun

hey i dont have much experience with kits, im building mine by scratch. I can tell you that your 5spd wont work. im pretty sure the 5spd in the 78 is beat as far as handling hp. you would want a 5spd from a 280zx, a borg warner t5. the ones in the turbos are world class or stronger than the non turbos. the input shaft on the nissan w/c t5 is longer than the chevy t5 so it will have to be trimmed, then you will have to get a chevy bellhousing which im not sure will bolt to the nissan case. im just using a t5 from a 90 camaro v8, all i need to do then is get a mount custom made. the trans i got for $75.:ass:

• Administrators
hey i dont have much experience with kits, im building mine by scratch. I can tell you that your 5spd wont work. im pretty sure the 5spd in the 78 is beat as far as handling hp. you would want a 5spd from a 280zx, a borg warner t5. the ones in the turbos are world class or stronger than the non turbos. the input shaft on the nissan w/c t5 is longer than the chevy t5 so it will have to be trimmed, then you will have to get a chevy bellhousing which im not sure will bolt to the nissan case. im just using a t5 from a 90 camaro v8, all i need to do then is get a mount custom made. the trans i got for $75.:ass:

Just a heads up, The info you gave in regards the Borg Warner T-5 trans is inaccurate. The World Class version of the Borg Warner T-5 was never offered in the 280-ZX and Nissan never received the World Class T-5 in any of its other vehicles.

This page explains quickly, how to positively identify a T-5 as World Class or Non World Class. They left out another important difference in the alloy of the gears sets were much improved for the World Class T-5..

http://www.5speeds.com/t5/

As 350datsun eluded to and the route he is going himself, if 5 speed is a necessity, it is far easier to just use the W/C T-5 that came behind a SBC in the first place It would simply bolt up, no special clutch, trans mount is SIMPLE if your read the JTR V-8Z conversion manual, driveshaft with Chev U-joints front AND rear, you’re done. Far less compromise, easier and less expensive and stronger. My W/C T-5 I ran behind my first SBC powered Z came from a ’91 Firebird, shifter came out the stock shifter location, car was plenty fast, tranny never gave me a lick of trouble, car was daily driven, and ran 12.3 @ 113 MPH on cheesy 195 60HR 14” all season tires.

If you haven’t already, order the JTR conversion manual. The book is invaluable, to ANYONE doing a V-8 conversion whether it is the JTR set back style, Scarab or their own scratch built concoction. Some items covered worthy of note is calibrating the OE tach for use with the GM V-8 HEI, retaining all the OE gauges, wiring and GM one wire alternator, exhaust, transmission, both automatic and manual trannies, speedo gear chart for calibrating your speedo, driveline info, starter tech, cooling, etc etc etc.

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html