HybridZ

Brembo vs. Wilwood - Opinions Please

Ok guys. Which would be the better set-up (cost, installation, performance) on a V-8 Z with 16" wheels - Brembo's or Wilwoods? Anyone with first-hand experience?

I feel it coming. Once I get the "Go" part of the car done I'm going to start thinking about the "Whoa".

Bottom line is cost... Wilwood/ Outlaw brakes are nice and light, do a great job, but have some minor associated maintenance with regards to seal replacement at about 6-12 month intervals, although I know some have had good results with up to 24 month intervals. Brembos are HELLEspensive. It boils down to how much you will use the car and there are a number of other factors such as rotor design, diameter, ducting, fluid type...

Mike Kelly :cool:

Originally posted by Mikelly:

Bottom line is cost... Wilwood/ Outlaw brakes are nice and light, do a great job, but have some minor associated maintenance with regards to seal replacement at about 6-12 month intervals, although I know some have had good results with up to 24 month intervals.

Interesting - do you know what the issue is with the 6-12 month seal replacement? Is this due to all weather useage/high mileage, or do the seals just dry out?

I ask because I have been using the AZ ZCar setup (Wilwood Superlite/Dynalite) since around 1988, and have only replaced the seals once, and this was simply to go to the newer o-ring design for decreased rollback.

My car does not normally see inclement weather and is garaged in the winter. As such, my miles/year are pretty low. That said, I've never had a problem with this.

Plan is to do minmal competition but will be run year round - about 10,000 miles/year - all kinds of weather but no snow or salt. It will be a combination of city and highway driving - some of it at some short duration but very high speeds (100+). I do not want a system that is jaguaresque in that it requires more than minimal routine maintenance. I only have to check the fluid level of the brakes monthly and do more extensive work about once every 3 years or 30,000 miles now. I've heard good things about the Wilwoods and, obviously, the Brembos.

How difficult is the conversion for each. I assume new master cylinder and brake proportioning valve, How involved are the mounts?

Tim, the seal issue came to me from racers back in the mid 90s when I was researching brake problems and the only think I can think of is the issue of repeated heat cycles breaking trhe rubber down. All I know is that racers just rebuilt them twice per year on track cars... I just took it to heart that you would have to do maintenance on them occassionally...

Mike :D

go for the brembos if your wallet can take it! 2thumbs.gif

i sell them and outlaws... you most likely will never need brembos

afaik the seal issue is less now than it was with the "older" type round orings from the late 80's and prior. most now are square cut seals and last longer

IMO 2 years for seals on a street car and most track cars are only once a year now

this is PREVENTATIVE maintenance