HybridZ

Ramflo filters on triple carbs?

toecutter

Hi Guys,

I've read that different length velocity stacks on triple carbs can change the power band. I'm thinking of using the Ramflo filters I have in a cupboard on my triple Delorotos. Do people usually have the velocity stacks under filters or just bolt on the filter and housing?

Lynx600.jpg

I think you'll find that you need to run velocity stacks. The carbs don't work very well without them. There is some tuning to be had by running shorter vs. longer stacks, but I doubt you'll notice much difference with the length differences we're talking about.

As far as filters go, I am a big fan of ITG. They sell both individual filters for weber/dellortos as well as one large filter to cover up all three carbs. They flow exceptionally well and do a darn good job of filtration. I use ITG on all my cars, including the Audi and BMW, both of which use a MAF and I have had zero issues in the years I have had them in use. Manifolds are spotless as well. MSA sells them now I believe.

You can just run a short stack inside the filter you already have as well. Either way works. You have a longer manifold with the Cannon, so you could probably get away with a short stack and have a total runner length about the same as a Mikuni manifold with a longer stack.

From what I've read over the years, the sock type filters are really restrictive. Can't say that the Ramflo looks much better to be honest. I'm also running the ITG, and I think it is a really good one to use, with free flow and the air can hit the stack from almost any angle.

I've heard that with a properly designed airbox with velocity stacks inside, and with a nice cold air intake and a good cone air filter (A'PEXi are said to be very good, and filter better than K&N or HKS without restricting the airflow), you can actually gain some power.

zdj281cie240z221bd8.jpg

zdj281cie240z189sy8.jpg

(the picture above was taken from Alan T.'s (HS30-H) gallery from classiczcars.com, it's a LY28 race engine in a 240ZR replica)

Wouldn't it be a better solution than three or six filters directly on the stacks? I dunno whether it is more restrictive or not, but the cost should be pretty much the same as with individual filters... What do you think?

BTW: Toecutter, your car is beautiful!

toecutter:

http://www.grapeaperacing.com/GrapeApeRacing/tech/inductionsystems.pdf

That website has a number of excellent articles to help expand your mind.. but this one, and in particular the comments about the Helmholtz effect, explain they "why's" of maintaining velocity stacks on your intake tract, and why changing the length of them changes your tuning, and what will happen if you unify all of your stacks into a "plenum" and use a filter. This is one of those areas that unless someone spends mucho bucks on multiple part configurations, AND high-dollar testing on each configuration, its REALLY largely academic, kinda seat-of-the-pants type tuning. Over time, an individual can gain an idea what sort of effect a certain arbitrary change in runner length will make, on a given engine.. but to ask "what will this do?" is something of a loaded question.

I mean, look at my sig... I don't know any more about what the changes might affect than you.. BUT, I know vaguely how they will effect the running of your motor. Maybe not in what ways, but I know how its doing it... you dig?

That grapeape racing site has a NUMBER of excellent technical articl, and I HIGHLY recommend reading all of them. At first I hadn't thought all of the articles would be that pertinent to me (me == not a V8 guy at ALL, so alot of "car literature" just bypasses my interest.) I was wrong, and every article on that website is a gem. Thanks TonyD for the reference..