HybridZ

A/C Pressure release?

naviathan

I topped off my A/C today because it was sitting just on the line at about 25 PSI (R134A converted system). I stepped it up to about 30PSI and everything seemed fine. Took it for a ride and everything blew nice and cold just like before, no real difference. Then I heard what sounded like a hose blow off. Popped the hood and there was freon all over the passengers side of the engine bay. It appears to have come from the little vent on the side of the sight glass. I wasn't aware the system had a pressure release? It still works, I haven't checked the pressure yet, but I kept going and the A/C is still blowing nice and cool.

Same thing happened to me (althought I didn't upgrade the refrigerant still the old R-22 or R12). I can't believe how much oil was everywere!! Did that happen to you?

I thought one of the components went bad so I pulled the A/C system in favor of weight savings and space. In Oregon, we hardly need A/C except for a few weeks a year. I wish I still had mine installed since we're supposed to get up to 105F this week...I kept all my old components so maybe just the valve blew and my system is okay.

Same thing happened to me (althought I didn't upgrade the refrigerant still the old R-22 or R12). I can't believe how much oil was everywere!! Did that happen to you?

I thought one of the components went bad so I pulled the A/C system in favor of weight savings and space. In Oregon, we hardly need A/C except for a few weeks a year. I wish I still had mine installed since we're supposed to get up to 105F this week...I kept all my old components so maybe just the valve blew and my system is okay.

Yeah, there's oil everywhere. I sprayed the engine compartment down, but now it just looks like I hit half the engine with a dress up kit, lol.