HybridZ

very good/Low cost brakes

Hey folks,

I`ve been reading through alot of the Q & A on brake upgrades.

I have a early 260 modified for track events, The toyota 4X4 frt. calipers with (new) stock Nissan rotors (cross drilled) is great! The master cly. is the 15/16 from a 79 ZX. I do not use any brake cooling and have run car 2 years without cutting rotors(11 events). I use Carbotech frt. pads and porterfield rear shoes (with vent holes drilled in backing plate) and I have a tilton proportioning valve. I change brake fliud before every event. Never had any problems AT ALL!!! Lots of good info at this site, mine is just food for thought!

your not driving fast enough :D

an ITS car will run out of front brakes in 30 minutes of track time IF its pushed hard and x-drilling reduces that some more.

i can outbrake any ITS Z with my 200sx..

Yes the pads and shoes do get replaced often!

The rotors (being cross drilled)have done well (as far as warpage due to high temps). This is not an IT car,its a real nice (mods almost to IT specs)fun car, I do on track events with!

I was just commenting that this is a GOOD LOW COST SETUP!!!

I ran the 4Runner pads and 300ZX cross drilled rotor setup on a 260Z and the braking was amazing... However, after 15-20 minutes of hard driving, the pedal would get a little soft... It just depends on how hard you drive the car. The toyota setup is a compromize, but they do work well as long as you understand the limitation, which is truly the rotor diameter.

Try some high tempo brake fluid like the Ford Motorsport Heavy Duty fluid or the motul stuff... High wet and dry numbers are a good thing! 2thumbs.gif

Mike

Originally posted by scca:

an ITS car will run out of front brakes in 30 minutes of track time IF its pushed hard and x-drilling reduces that some more.

i can outbrake any ITS Z with my 200sx..

Uh, nope. Me thinks the ITS 240Z that won the ARRC the last 2 years would qualify as being "driven hard" on a track that hates brakes, and it is still tire limited after 30+ minutes. But you're right that X-drilling would kill it.

I should hope you can outbrake any ITS Z with the 200SX. Lower CG, lighter weight, and slicks, right?

That said, I'd use Mike's setup in a heartbeat if I could. It would actually be cheaper long term than any ITS setup that's being driven at competitive times, and could be streetable at the same time.

yep slicks... and as far as speed the top ITS cars actually have as much top end as me in my "little" 1600 203 HP.. but at the end of the straight i can throw out the anchor and pass em.. if its not a long straigt the torq of a L6 pulls me and i have a harder time passing them..

but on a track like Thunderhill i have lots of track to go around too...

Guest 2002sentraSER

varunner where in va are you located and do you have any spare 260z carbs that you would be willing to give up please email me back thanks