HybridZ

Engine miss/ lean condition ('79 s130 project)

I tried to post this earlier but my computer did something funny. Anyway, I have a 79 zx that I have been working on the past year-majorly overhauled everything-body/ paint, engine/ tranny, interior, etc. I have the car 95% complete but I have an engine miss/ lean condition from 1500 to 2500 rpm. The car idles fine, revs good past this point, has steady vacuum (18"), everything is pretty much new. The A/F guage goes to about 16:1 or less at this rpm under load or revving from an idle and when it smooths out an revs it is still on the lean side of stoich. I have built and modded Z cars for about the last ten years & was a dealer tech on Nissan vehicles prior to that. In my experience with these cars, I've never had one with a gremlin that I couldn't find in a few days, so I'm stumped & a little embarrassed.

The mods to the engine are as follows from current rebuild be me: F54 block-Ross 2.8 forged pistons/ chrome rings/ stock rods & crank/ trimetal bearings, MN47 head- port polish/ seals/ springs/ Msa turbo cam/ chain & gears/ Cometic gasket 1 MM, SDS additional injector computer w/ 750 cc injectors, 270cc injectors on rail, Garrett GT3271R ball bearing turbo, 4" thick vertical core I/C, N/A dizzy, N/A ECU, new ECU harness, new sensors-all, except Turbo MAF w/ N/A guts, narrow band O2 w/ A/F guage, RRFPR, FD3S BOV/ bypass valves, Walbro 255 lph pump, 60mm TBI upgrade, 2.5" DP/ exhaust. All tune up & engine parts are new-not joking.

The tests I have run include FSM EFI checklist, EFI component checks, injector pulse tests/ dizzy input, fuel pressure-36 psi @idle/ 58 psi @ WOT, stethoscoped entire engine bay for vacuum leaks, reclocked dizzy/ oil pump 5 times-returned to original setting because it made it worse, FSM EFI relay checks, leaned & richened by MAF gear position-made worse. Swapped ECU's 3 times, MAF once, & cleaned/ greased/ reconnected all harness plugs. Base timing is 5* BTDC & 18* w/ advance connected.

Oh yeah some other oddities: the plugs are sooty black (rich look), car can take 5 seconds to crank before starting when cold-intermittently, & tailpipe smoke is non existant, even on cold start?

With all the knowledge on this site, I need someone to point me in a direction I have not been.

Thanks,

NosebleedZ

I read that link and played around a little with my AFM, didn't really do anything but while I was messing with it I noticed my BCDD (boost controlled decelleration device, on the bottom of the intake, looks like a water filter you would find on an air line.... anyway) kept making noises on and off at say 1500rpm, I noticed it would make my afm move when it would make noise. Basically, it was letting air in when it shouldn't be. So I disconnected the hose going to it and plugged it. Now my low rpm seems to be more powerful and smooth.

• 2 years later...