HybridZ

Does a chasis "how-to" exist?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was just wondering if anyone has made or can point me to a chasis how-to? I've spent so long focusing on nothing but my engine and drivetrain, it's high time to start reinforcing the body! I've read through so many helpful threads here already - thanks everyone. But now I'm not sure where to begin. I thought I would start with the triangulated strut tower braces . . . but I don't want to crack the rear roof pillar. I'm pretty clear on the steps for most of the mods, but what's the best order to do them for a streetable setup to minimize down time and costs? Thanks,

Dave

First question that comes to mind is this:

What do you plan to do with the car?

Biggest bang for the buck BY far, is a pair of sub frame connectors, and if you plan it out right, your car won't be down more than a day, unless you get real elaborate and sink them into the floor pans like Pete did. Then you are looking at a weekend job minimum. Next move would be front and rear strut tower braces... The rear brace will help some with the flex in the upper unit-body. Bolt in cages aren't the best solution, but certainly help. My last bolt in cage survived a serious crash and became the foundation for my existing 18 point jungle jim. It was a 6 point unit custom made using an autopower four point bar and having a race car fabricator weld on the front halo, and that was in the days before I got back into welding...

Obviously you should also look into new bushings, better struts, better springs, larger sway bars... Tons of work to be done!

Good luck!

Mike :D

For subframe connectors there is a company offering a convertible kit that has some interesting connectors for sale:

http://www.zparts.com/ads/zspider/zspider_index1.html

The connectors should work great for a V8 Z and look like this:

zcar-seethru.jpg

I am very interested in their product, so if you look into it more please be sure and post what you find. The whole kit (with a Kevlar rear end) is only $1295, so I would hope just the connectors would be substaintially less.

Of course there is always Pete P's HybridZ classic:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pparaska/structuralmods.htm

The book "How to hotrod and race your Datsun" (available from MSA) is good in general, although it is more geared toward 510's than Z's.

Chris Cloude used the plans on my site as a starting point for his 280Z shell. I don't think there were alot of difference in the shells (240Z to 280Z) that made difference, but he may have tweaked a few dimensions. Simple to eyeball with a cardboard template that represents the tops surface of the subframe connector on my site.

Anyway, Mike Kelly now has that car - maybe he can shed some light on this...

Yup, I have that car, and I actually helped Chris lay out the Sub-frames on the car... Bottom line is you really need a Rotissery to do it right, but it can be done with jack stands and a wiz wheel. Key is to remove all the interior on that side of the vehicle, and get TALL stands. If you have access to a lift, that would make things even better.

Pete's template drawings were PEFECT, and I've contemplated making a sub-frame kit for sale off Pete's drawings...

Mike

Guest 400 ci 280z

mikelly,

once i get home and buy my welder this is one of the first things to do. i do plan to make a rotisorie (how ever you spell that stupid word :confused: ) then work on the frame and body. then get the pontiac mounts done (thanks to grog 2thumbs.gif ) and get it built. then get it running by the end of this school year if i get enough money together.