HybridZ

RB30 DOHC Conversion Belt Choices

Careless

did some more checking.

there are two more belts that are close, however, gates doesn't make a belt for either car.

the Contitech CT522, and the CT760 are for a plethora of renaults, as well as a 2.1 diesel Jeep XJ.

both of which we didn't get here, so Gates doesn't make a belt for them

However, these belts are 148 teeth, and are probably not the proper size, since 150 for the lower tensioners i've heard is not a good idea, since it's not properly tensioned on both sides for whatever reason.

148 teeth might clear, but that makes the belt 1184 mm long (that's assuming that it actually is a 8mm pitch, which I can't seem to find info on)

I can't cross reference with Gates, but they are dayco numbers 94361, 94196, and 94328. they are 148 teeth x 25.4 mm, so that's about an inch, which is right.

but I can't find pitch or length specs, because gates is the only place that has that information and they don't make belts for either engine.

I have managed to get two Gates numbers, but they don't turn anything up

5244XS and 5040.

nothing shown.

I got a lot of info from this place

http://www.faiauto.com/Club/SearchResults.aspx?Where=0&Type=1&PartNumber=5244XS

and

http://www.faiauto.com/Club/SearchResults.aspx?Where=0&Type=1&PartNumber=TB156

and

http://www.faiauto.com/Club/PartDetails.aspx?PartNumber=45148

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, Final straw.

I'm checking the entire Gates Racing Belt Catalogue on their parts information catalogue site (since their PDF is only an informational on the quality and craft of the item)

here we go:

Wont Work:

T142RB = not enough teeth, wrong pitch/length

T145RB = not enough teeth, wrong pitch/length

T184RB = not enough teeth, no mention of pitch/length

T201RB = not enough teeth, wrong pitch/length

T215RB = not enough teeth, right pitch

T216RB = not enough teeth, no mention of pitch

T224RB = not enough teeth, wrong pitch/length

T227RB = not enough teeth, wrong pitch/length

T245RB = too many teeth, wrong pitch/length

T247RB = not enough teeth, wrong pitch, correct length though

T294RB = not enough teeth, wrong pitch, length is close

T304RB = way too many teeth, wrong pitch/length

T312RB = not enough teeth, wrong pitch/length

T328RB = way too many teeth, wrong pitch/length

Might Work:

T167RB = 153 teeth, tooth pitch is 9.5 though, making it 1400 mm long (too long)

T179RB = 145 teeth, 8mm pitch

T237RB = too many teeth at 159, proper pitch though.

So how does this company have a gates racing belt. They didn't say it was custom made, and they said they "tested their findings" with their DOHC engines, and they worked out, so I KNOW they're not custom.

stagefumer11, how did you verify that number?

Finally caught up with my friend. It seems many of the belts used for the original conversion were standard engineering belts, not automotive, and weren't heat rated. So, any automotive belt should be fine. He didn't have the part numbers, but Dayco had a 149 tooth belt, and Gates made a 100 unit run of a 151 tooth belt to suit the dual tensioner setup that he was making - the belts were made on spec from someone else's conversion, but when that fell through they ended up sorting it out with his buildup instead. There were lots of pictures taken, but I don't know if the kit was ever finalised.

Finally caught up with my friend. It seems many of the belts used for the original conversion were standard engineering belts, not automotive, and weren't heat rated. So, any automotive belt should be fine. He didn't have the part numbers, but Dayco had a 149 tooth belt, and Gates made a 100 unit run of a 151 tooth belt to suit the dual tensioner setup that he was making - the belts were made on spec from someone else's conversion, but when that fell through they ended up sorting it out with his buildup instead. There were lots of pictures taken, but I don't know if the kit was ever finalised.

tell him to get in here and tell us what to do to get these things! :mrgreen:

He can't - his work blocks access to forums, and he doesn't have internet access from home. I'll try and get a detailed explanation this weekend, and hopefully he has some spare pictures as well. I doubt he wants to try and pull the front cover off the motor in the car.... then again, he has a spare RB30 block and a spare GTR head, so can at least show where the tensioners go.

• 2 weeks later...

A little late....

The 151 tooth belt used an additional idler on the block. There is a pre-existing 6mm thread which was enlarged to 8mm with a bracket on the top tied to additional points in the block. To use a pre-cast boss on the block drilled/tapped to suit the standard idler requires the block to be at least 10mm, but many of the blocks are thinner than this - his block was only 5.5mm thick, so an alternative was tried. With a 149 tooth belt (which are supposed to be available in automotive grade now), the tensioner is relocated up on the block - once again, block thickness is the issue as to where the tensioner is located. There is a picture... I'll try and scan it in and post it this weekend.

Edit: And a link showing how it is done. Depending on the belt used, the idler on the tight side can be changed to a tensioner to allow the correct belt tension to be set. Adjustable timing gear is also mandatory with these conversions to get the cam timing back to where it should be.

in google that belt comes up with only a PDF for a performance outlet for engine packages, and it is listed under a Mitsu Mirage 4G93T, which is a 1.8 litre DOHC.

It uses, as a cross reference with gates and dayco, a 151 tooth 9.5mm pitch belt. That means that the teeth won't wrap around the crank drive gear properly, as it requires a 8mm pitch.

It is also 1438mm long, the required length for a top tensioner mod is 1216mm long.

Where did you get that number from? it doesnt even show up in their catalogue, which is why I had to do some more cross-ref to see if that's the correct belt.

In all honesty, I'll sell the timing belt I have to someone from the VW crowd for 50 bucks flat, if I can get the proper racing belt.

Try a dayco 94407

http://home.comcast.net/~alhandyman/files/RB30_DOHC.pdf

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15420

Try reading the first post, and the ones that follow it in this thread. :icon45:

94407 has been noted, and replaced with a suitable belt for those who can't find it or cross it with Gates. And I am now on a mission to find the Racing Series belt.

Dayco 94407 is anything but a racing series belt.

Best laid plans.... he forgot to mention he was going racing for the weekend, so I didn't pick is up in time.

Does this person use the Gates Racing belt?

If not, there's no point in asking for pictures or wasting your or his time. I'm on a mission after the racing series belt. JustJap.com sells it too, but it makes no mention of where the tensioner is to be placed. That's why I'm wondering where the hell he gets his belts from, as I've been through the entire Racing Belts catalogue that Gates offers, and none match up as close as the non-racing.

Yes it's the racing series, Gates Australia had 100 made in Japan. Mate has three spares for his engine, will check for a part number tonight. Otherwise contact Gates Australia and ask about a custom belt for an RB30DE conversion...

They only made 100?

hmmm, i wonder why JustJap has so many to spare. perhaps they were the bulk of the order.

If you could get a part number that'd be great, if not, I'll have to call up Gates with the VoIP at work so there's no long distance charge (i don't think)

stock idler location, relocated tensioner to the correct place.

Thanks Rob.

I was under the impression that by the SAU thread and the Cubes guide, you'd have to use two tensioner pulleys in both instances.

I've emailed gates australia regarding the parts number or tooth count and belt length to see what they can do about exporting a couple to the US.

If I can't make that happen, I'll use the T291 that I have now, and then I'll contact you regarding a a purchase for the Racing belt. what do you sell them for anyways? JustJap.com sells them for 119.99 AUD (i think aud).

However, even the manager at JustJap doesn't know where the idler or tensioners were supposed to be placed.

Thanks again!