HybridZ

Where are you guys getting your engines?

Plague_oc

Ive been looking around where I live (socal) for something with 280zx turbo engine, and I cant find anything! (well, the very few I have found are over priced) Should I be looking to get a doner or should i look for just the engine (junkyard?) ? If Im supposed to get one from a junkyard, does anyone know of any in socal that have these engines? Thanks

SoCal? Anything more concrete? I'm in SoCal, and finding engines isn't as 'braindead easy' as it was 10 years ago, but it's far from hard.

If you are doing a conversion, buy a car that you can see run. If you just want a core, any one is as good as another.

Costs from a junkyard run $250 to $450 including core.

Costs for clapped-out donors run in the same range, up to $1500...

I just went junkyard diving last Thursday. I hit all the major yards in the OC and LA area: 5 Pick Your Parts (2 in OC, 2 in Long Beach, 1 in Sun Valley and 1 Ecology (Long Beach). There were a few N/A ZXs with turbo hoods, but no turbo ZXs. I found a few Z31 turbos (I was looking for a differential) but they were all 1986 (no LSD).

Your best bet is to watch Craigslist, Zcar.com classifieds and Hybridz classifieds. I found my turbo engine in the Hybridz classifieds for $550 and it included the AFM and harness. The engine and turbo were in excellent condition.

Guest Death69

if you leave near LA I would recommend going to pick-a-part. i know for sure that they have at least 2 280zxt's that are in very good condition and a couple that im not too sure about.