HybridZ

So I got a call about an old Mazda...

I just "inherited" a pair of RX-2s that were out back of a friends house, he bought them years ago and always planned to junk them but never did it for whatever reason and just let them sit for almost 20 years and he recently was cleaning up his backyard remembered he had them and called me thinking "Hey Jensen's kid is into that old Jap crap maybe he wants them", so I got them for free he just said I owed him a favor. I had no idea why I even took them they aren't in bad shape but neither one runs and the last thing I need is another project, but then a chance happening gave me an evil genius plan to end all evil genius plans, I stopped at the shop on the way home with the 2nd car and we happened to have a big block chevy on the stand we were rebuilding for a mud truck and I got that evil little glimmer in my eye and after some rough measuring I think it will fit in the engine bay with a little modification, I really don't need this right now since I have to go back to Japan in a week but I think this may be my next major project talk about a sleeper. I haven't been able to unearth much information on them except that they are based and the 616/Capella chassis and came stock with a 12A, so does anyone know anything about them? I really don't need anything too specific just some general information would be nice before I delve too deep into this.

Sure sorry I forgot all I've got on hand is a google image my camera is in my barracks...several thousand miles away. RX-2.jpg

The two I picked up are coupes and even the same color granted a little more weathered to tell you the truth I'd never even heard of them prior to him calling me but I like the body style.

If you think getting parts for your Z is tough, then you want no part of an old rotary Mazda. If the cars are in repairable condition I have a suggestion. In Puerto Rico the rotary cars are insanely popular. I know in a few places in the north eastern part of the U.S.A. they are also sought after. I would suggest you clean them up as best you can and take several pics. Put them up for sale on as many Japanese car or Mazda/Rotary web sites you can get. Or, start by putting one up on E-bay. You will have no trouble selling them. Not to mention the RX-2 is one of the better looking ones.

Brian

I agree whole heartedly with Brian. I have had cousins that have owned RX2s over the years and they are one of THE most handsome cars to EVER come from Japan. They established Mazda as a serious car builder as it was the first heavily mass produced Sports car by Mazda (more so than the R100 and Cosmo with the 10A rotary).

Getting interior or exterior parts is absolutely impossible today. Current owners buy them and hoard the parts as they are so damn rare. Complete non running even rusty cars on eBay hit an easy $1500+.

I looked for a RX2 for myself many years ago and gave up as I did not want a Bondo junker and the real jems were bringing BIG $$. I admire them all the time. A TRUE timeless classic. If I came across one in good condition, I would see my S30 and buy it.

The 4door versions are ugly compared to the Coupes.

Yasin

A guy in high school had one with an RX7 motor in it. I never wanted to race my 510 against it...

I think the cars are really cool. If you wanted to keep it "all Mazda" you could put a turbo RX7 motor in it. It'd be a fun little sleeper.

Davy

Hmm, I didn't realize they were so popular or valuable looks like I will try to clean them up a little over the next year or so and sell them off, one of the cars is in pretty good condition the other one is a little more rough but both are solid and don't have any major rust spots just some surface rust on the hood and deck lid, one will need a new a back window though as it is cracked pretty badas far as the interior goes both radios are missing and some misc. trim is missing from one car but the other looks to be complete (I have no idea what it's supposed to look like). Oh well, looks like I have another project, thanks for the heads up on the value and rarity of these cars I had no idea they were so uncommon

rx2 was the first usable rotary engined car.kind of low tech besides the engine.your basic front macpherson strut/live axle leaf spring 2 door coupe.but at that time the cars were very fast compared to everything else.if you try to turn the engines over put a little atf in the spark plug holes-or some of that marvel mystery oil.you might want to put some oil in and let it soak then move engine back and forth with a breaker bar on the crank. i would just put a battery on it and hit the starter.

I've heard of the ATF/Marvels trick I am trying it now neither one was seized which is odd considering they sat for 20 years but neither one will fire as they sit hopefully I can get at least one to fire and mabe sell it as is, I decided to keep one since I will probably never see another one again and I will be kicking myself down the road when theese things are the new Mopars on the auction block.