HybridZ

Ram Air Revisited

Awhile back, there was some discussion regarding ram-air to help get cooler air into the carburetor. I was looking at buying one of the units from www.ramairbox.com but it didn't look like theirs would clear my front strut bar. I decided to try and make my own and with a little junk yard scrounging and a few pieces from the hardware store, I came up with this: http://www.geocities.com/paul_richer/Z8_RamAir.html

And it was a lot cheaper too!

Guest Anonymous

Very cool. I wanted to do something similar, but strangely my parts guy Roger at Rancho Chevy said they're still getting like 100.00 for the GM air cleaners, needless to say I was shocked. He suggested Pick and Pull, and at 100.00, thats definately the plan. Probably score one for like 10.00 bucks or cheaper. Good idea though, great looking engine compartment BTW.

Lone

------------------

http://datsun240v8z.virtualave.net/index.html

[This message has been edited by lonehdrider (edited March 29, 2001).]

That does look nice. I was thinking of this same idea the other day, but I wonder whether water might get sucked into the intake if the inlet ever gets heavily splashed. Any thoughts?

------------------

Scott Ferguson

1976 260-Z, surrounded by an ever-growing cloud of V8 parts...

No, you still use the filter element, so getting water via rain in the intake would be a very rare occurrence.

Lone, I have my '77 Camaro air filter assembly, which you are welcome to for free if you want it.

Pricher, about a year ago HotRod had an article on making a ram air box using a 14" chrome open filter element (cheap), two stack boxes from the local hardware store (like the one shown in the picture), and some aluminum sheet metal. Two of those boxes can be riveted to the air filter and the sheet aluminum can be used to cover the remaining exposed element. I plan on using this same set up for mine when I'm finished. Hot underhood air does not excite me, and I can pick up a few horsepower as well. smile.gif

David

The RamAirbox is more expensive, but you can fabircate another strut bat easily, and I believe their 110degree unit will clear any strut brace. What I did was weld a longer tab onto my MSA strut brace, and flipped the brace upside down!

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

>Looks great Paul....BUT what's the ole butt dyno tell you !

>You getting that 1%/10 degrees? Any before engine bay temp readings?

No didn't take any temp readings, but it does seem a bit more responsive. I had always notice that the car seemed faster on cool mornings and got a bit soggier as outside temps went up... so I figure this couldn't hurt

>You doing Pt. Townshend this summer? Looks like that might be one event I'll make.

For Sure... I like the Port Townsend meets... a great mixture of ZEE's and ZED's :-)

Rick, the strut bar on my car was a straight piece with th eL6. Instead of curving it upwards they simply raised the mounting points a bit with a welded bracket. I believe this bar will fit fine with a SBC swap and maybe even with a ram air setup. I can take pics and make some measurements if ti would help but I don't know where this bar was sourced from unfortunatly. It's got some damned nice welds though!

As you can see, I'm using a "no-frills" strut bar... a straight piece of polished stainless steel tubing (boat railing stock) with the ends flattened and drilled to mount to the forward most strut stud. This was described in my JTR manual (1st edition). Cheap but effective :-)

Paul

Adam (and anyone else interested),

From the Z-Car Club of Washington's activities page: http://www.zccw.org/Club/Activity.html

It's August 17-19, and yes, everyone is invited.

Paul

quote:

Originally posted by madmanadam:
Originally posted by Ross C:

You doing Pt. Townshend this summer? Looks like that might be one event I'll make.

Ross,

When is the PT. Towshend and is anyone welcome?
smile.gif

Adam