HybridZ

Replacing Shocks and Source for Springs

How do you remove the old shocks in a 72 240Z? Do they screw out with a pipe wrench? Do the struts have to be completely removed from the car?

Also, what is a good source for springs? We are looking for 150 lb spring rate front and 175 lb spring rate rear and not more than a one inch drop. The car has a 350 sbc.

Thanks

Miles

You have to remove the entire assembly. Then use a spring compressor to compress springs and remove the retainer nut on the strut bearing. After the spring is off, remove the big nut and pull the cartridge out. I have Suspension Techniques springs I got from Summit for about $100. I have KYB struts but don't recommed them. I'd try the cheap Tokicos, but the Tokico Illumina adjustables are the correct way to go, but $175 each!!!! If you want big tires in the back, might as well do coilovers now and get it over with.

I was just looking at the Arizona Z Car website. they sell a set of 240Z springs 180 LB/in. front and 200 LB/in. rear for abot $160.00. Has anybody tried Arizona Z Car for parts or bought their spring kits?

Thanks

Miles

I just bought the Suspension Techniques spring kit for a 240. I don't know the exact rate, but if you call Summit, they can probably help you out. They lowered my car the perfect amount IMO. I do have 25" tall tires which is a heck of a lot better than 24" combo I had before.