HybridZ

Muffler for 82 280zx NA, or not?

mikeatrpi

I'm currently running a straight pipe on my 82 NA. Its not obnoxiously loud, but it does tend to drone on the highway. I really like how it sounds when I decelerate - popping - and open it up - she screams!

I am replacing the pipe from the cat back, and am considering adding a magnaflow or similar muffler to reduce some of the highway noise but keep it lively when I want to push it. I seek your opinions.

I put an ad in the "wanted" section but so far no bites. I did find this magnaflow on EBAY that should weld up without trouble. Link to ebay

Thank you in advance!

Mike, to get rid of the drone at around 2000 rpms, you usually need to put a resonator towards the front of the exhaust system. Usually somewhere in the front floor pan area. But you already have the cat so you shouldn't be getting the infamous drone.

I had my entire exhaust made up from the turbo to the rear muffler here locally for $300 out of stainless 2.5". I bought my stainless Magnaflow for $90. The guy also welded it on for me, welded on a hook for the hanger, and made an exhaust tip extension. The place is called "Gallon Measure" and makes custom exhausts for all the hot rodders around here. You might want to think ahead and have a future proof system made up from the cat back. It might not cost as much as you think. Although that muffler you linked to should work fine, you may still need to customize the exhaust it to make it fit perfectly.

Thanks Dave. I bought a bunch of U bends and plan to make my own pipe... just for the experience I suppose. In the event I do a turbo swap I'll probably go the custom SS route. Thanks for the recommendation on that shop, the price sounds particularly easy to swallow... Phil280zxt was telling me at Limerock that he spent an unGodly sum on his custom exhaust.