HybridZ

72 240z starting up and idles put almost cuts out when accelerating

Guest adamngo

Guest adamngo

my 72 240z was running fine but has sat for about 2 weeks, now it idles fine and starts fine, but when i press the gas it seems to want to die. any help is appreciated.

thanks

I can almost 100% guarantee that it's the fuel pump, consult a few more people, then try replacing it.

it wants to die because the engine can't get the fuel it needs to mix with the air, thus it sputters and dies or almost dies. Mine had the same problem, only after 7 years of sitting X(

Ok got fuel pump replaced does run better no more poping during idle and smooth aceleration BUT now SHUTS OFF WHEN DRIVING . I have to pull over and try several times to start. MAYBE THE FUEL LINES ARE CLOGGED? DIRTY CARB? Any suggestions???

oh wow, I thought for sure the fuel pump would shut off everything. You said you've had it off for several weeks only? My car had been sitting for 7 years before starting it again and had the same symptoms. Then we started it, and just held the gas down to keep the rpms up at about 4k to pass the old gas through. Glad the fuel pump has helped so far though. I had a ton of water and other ♥♥♥♥ in my gas tank so I poured some water remover and it worked a fair bit better. but that doesnt sound like it's your problem. At this point I have no clue.

• 5 weeks later...

If your engine is the factory carb engine you should replace the fuel filters. There should be one in the engine compartment inline of the fuel line just before the feed line to the carbs.

The second fuel filter (my first z was a 73z: assuming a 72 is the same) will be behind the passenger rear wheel next to the fuel tank. If memory serves me correctly it spins off...ps: dont have your face under it when your remove it as extra fuel will spill in your face - not fun.

Is your engine the factory dual carb'd engine or is it an aftermarket fuel injected transplanted eninge?

When your engine dies, spits and sputters - does it also backfire? Next after the fuel filters you should check your cap, rotor, plug and plugwires as well as the points.

The early z, providing this is the factory z engine should have dual points so you need to ensure the air gap is set correctly.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)