HybridZ

Auto darkening Helmet is a blessing, lol.

240zV8

I finally got a auto darkening helmet, and I can't believe i've gone this long with a flip down lense style helmet, lol.

I got the miller pro-hobby, with the eagle/american flag

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/weldinghelmets/prohobby.php

Being able to keep both ur hands free without having to flip the lense down and loosing ur position says enough. This things got some nice features, but any auto darkening helmet would be lightyears better than a regular one, so get one if u dont already. Now to go lay a couple beads just for the hell of it :mrgreen:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46092

one of the VERY RARE... GOOD VALUES ...at harbor freight, (above)

I had a 15% off coupon in a sales flyer, I bought a second auto dark helmet from them for $44 ,I had the old one for several years with no problems yet, how can you beat a basically throw away price on an auto darkening helmet that works for that price//

Ive got $360 miller auto darking helmets that are only marginally better

the only advantages I see in my more expensive helmets is the degree of shading is adjustable and the screen areas larger but both features are of minor value in the welding Ive been doing, simply because the harbor freight helmets set up to fairly close to ideal as its out of the box settings. (thats why I bought a second one) and rarely use the miller brand helmets, if IM going to screw one up, get the screen scratched or burnt with framents of crud from welding over my head under a car, it may as well be a $44 throw away vs a $360 ID cry over

Mine was like $145 at the local welding supply. It came with a bunch of extra lense's and a magnifying lense, and a few others. I wanted to support the local welding place, they gave me a great deal on a gas cylinider before so I thought i'd just get a nice helmet from them. I bought some ratchet wrenches from HF and one broke the first time I used it, others held up fine so far, but somtimes u do get what u pay for.

most harbor freight stuff is cheap junk, the only two exceptions I can think of at the moment are that self darkening helmet and the 12 ton jack stands

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34924

both are less than $50 on sale (a pair of jack stands) and I can recommend those, I support my corvetts on 4 of these for some jobs and they have exactly the correct room under them on the first click up to compfortably work under the car for things like oil pan removals or engine swaps, and they are FAR larger and more stabile than the comon 3 or 6 ton jack stands most guys use.

I bought a set of gear pullers from HF that said "FORGED STEEL" on the cheap cast parts, they failed/fell apart the first time I tried to test them