HybridZ

Refurbishing 240z taillights.

OlderThanMe

I just won these taillights on Ebay...

ef25_1.JPG

f650_1.JPG

Thet aren't cracked but they do have some small scratches and overspray from a bad masking job.

Are there any tips for removing the paint and polishing out the scratches?

Dremel with fabric wheel and paint polish?

I have been looking for a set of these for a long time now that aren't cracked.

The chrome is also peeling so I'll probably paint them black. These will go on my Z to replace my mint 260/280 style taillights. I just need to find the surrounds for these or make some.

Thanks guys!

OTM

Try one of your automotive product stores and look for a polishing compound for plastic. The one that I have used I believe is called PlastiX or something similar. Mothers and Meguires sells this type of compound I believe. Hope that points you in the right direction.

Eastwood has a plastic refinishing set - if I remember it was around $25 - and it worked great on my taillights. Mine were in similar condition.

The kit consists of several different levels of polish and really brought the lights back to life.

Bryan

To really get them clean you will need to take them apart. Once the inside is clean and you've polished the outside add a coat of clear which fills in minor scratches and gives them a nice shiny look.

The taking apart, part, is the hardest portion of the whole process. You can paint or vacuum wrap the center strip once you have it off. The dirtiest side will be the driver's side (since it sits right above the tail pipe). Zs from the southwest will have road dust in the bottom of the lens. My first 240 had about 2-inches after 250,000 miles of travel throughout the west.