HybridZ

Clunking noise when letting off clutch

krodgers

Hi everybody. I have 76 Datsun 280Z 2+2 with a 4 speed manuel with an R200 diff. When I let out on the clutch i hear a clunking noise, but it only makes the noise once. It sounds like there is a lot of play in the driveline somewhere, but there isn't when i check it by hand. The diff was rebuilt 6 months ago, the halfshafts have brand new u-joints installed, and just put in a brand new driveshaft. I have no idea what else could be the problem. A friend said that it could be the throw-out bearing, but I don't know if it would make that noise if it was going out.

Thanks,

Kevin Rodgers

Retighten every nut on every bolt in the back. You'd be surprised what a loose nut will cause as far as a clunking noise.

LARRY

Well I deserve a smack in the head. I got under the car today and the two bolts that attach the rear of the diff to the mustache bar were loose. I crawled under the car when I first started getting the noise, but I guess I didn't check those bolts. My self esteem has plummeted... thanks for the help guys.

Kevin Rodgers

Well I deserve a smack in the head. I got under the car today and the two bolts that attach the rear of the diff to the mustache bar were loose. I crawled under the car when I first started getting the noise, but I guess I didn't check those bolts. My self esteem has plummeted... thanks for the help guys.

Kevin Rodgers

I have this same Issue with my 280zx 2+2! the clunk. I shall check out the mustache mounting points soon.

• 2 years later...

Same Issue with a 240z (r200 diff).

Love this site for the search engine. So much info.

In slightly related news... I'm lucky enough to access a hoist for $8/hr.

No more digging holes in the gravel or e-braking onto wooden blocks to fit the jack under :)