HybridZ

Finally started wiring!

christoc

Well, over 3 months after I ordered the MS I finally started wiring the car today.

I've got a long way to go, and hopefully 2 nights to get there. I built a VR mount Friday and Saturday, a buddy mounted it today while I was doing other things. I'm hoping it's sturdy enough for now, we'll see once the motor runs.

872518561_ee2917d9ee_m.jpg

Here are some of the other photos from today.

872530883_26316591e1_s.jpg872527971_dd62e028d7_s.jpg872525013_0ac1db8473_s.jpg872521791_e1a508370d_s.jpg872518561_ee2917d9ee_s.jpg872512225_882694dc4f_s.jpg873359360_8922d469fe_s.jpg873353908_e4809af1b0_s.jpg

I should be back out in the garage tomorrow night running more wires. I'm planning on mounting the MS and fuse panel on the shelf behind/inbetween the seats, I've still gotta fabricate how exactly those will all mount back there.

Wow, sounds a lot like some of the stuff I went through except for the wiring. I've been running around fixing coolant and fuel leaks. Turns out I forgot to tighten the FPR hoses to the rail. Didn't actually find that until I leaned on the rail while it was pressurized. My plugs in the thermostat housing for the ports I'm not using were leaking bad. I got one sealed but ended up putting the temperature switch back in the other to keep that port sealed. It seems to be an odd deep thread. The pitch is easy enough to match, but the depth of the threads leaves a normal bolt or plugs loose even with tape. The only wiring problem I had was the FP relay. SM switches ground and I didn't want to run under the dash and change that relay around so I ran a second relay under the hood by the main efi relay that was switched ground from MS closing hot to the stock pump relay. Lots of fun, I really did enjoy the electrical portions of the job. It was tedious in some parts, but well worth the effort in the end.

The first coolant leak we had was one of the plugs on the thermostat housing, it hadn't been tightened down. I'm hoping, as I didn't see any more coolant this morning, that the coolant I found when putting the car away last night was just left over from before we found the plug being loose. I'll find that out tonight when I get home.

Fuel is an interesting beast, hopefully I can just bend the tabs for the fuel rail a bit and get a better seal, if not I have more injector orings I can try, luckily I bought some for something else the other day.

Well I got the rail to the point where the injectors don't leak, but I found a leak in the fuel rail inlet fitting. I took it off the motor so I could try to fix it and figured out that the threads are all jacked on the rail. Now I need to try to get that fixed tomorrow and then I'll have to get another fitting. After that I'll be sure to assemble it myself this time.

Well, no dice tonight!

I did manage to get my fuel leak problem fixed, and tracked down the wiring problem I had (or bypassed the problem).

When I went to start it I'm not getting any spark. I'm taking the day off tomorrow, hope to track down where my spark is and go from there.

First thing I'll check is the VR sensor wiring, then I'll start looking elsewhere.

It's all part of the game. After my MS, Fuel Rail, Fuel lines, and thermostat, replacement, I had a coolant leak from the thermostat gasket, two fuel leaks from the AN fittings, one relay had two ground wires instead of a hot and a ground.....but after that was all fixed, it was smooth sailing. Even the pros need to shakedown their cars before they hit the track, so I dont feel so bad.

Holy crap this was so worth it!

I wasn't getting RPM last night, this morning I got very flaky RPM.

Tonight I swapped the wires on the VR sensor and got RPM but no spark.

Now we're getting spark and she even tries to run!

It'll fire up but won't continue to run. Even so, this was all worth it just to hear what I've heard so far!

Video up tonight or first thing tomorrow!!!

Posted a long writeup on my Project thread

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=792321#post792321

You can also see some video here

http://www.project240z.com/tabid/54/itemid/29/Trying-to-start-the-car.aspx

There's a YouTube video, and below that you'll find a link to the video also in HD that you can download.