HybridZ

did more tuning on the z

scottyMIz

ok here is the deal, i had it running good but not great it seemed to cut out on top end. So i did some adjusting of the trigger angle and the top end cleared up and now the bottom end has a stumble. I am using a haltech e6k and i love it just alot to adjust :) I found my problem the map wasn't set for above 6500 rpm(l28et stops there). So i am going to adjust the timing on the upper rpm so that i can run good on idle like it is suppose to and handle the top end.(hopefully i didn't break anything in the engine) I have a question for the guys running the vvt do you guys know when it kicks in and out? like what rpm? it doesn't seem to make much of a difference in my car. I can tell you tho that lil rb25 puts my l28et to shame..... holy crap!! Now i just need a good clutch, change the oil and it's ready for the track. Oh yea found out that the autometer tach adapter doesn't work with the haltech either so i ordered a msd unit should be in this week..... and i still need a speed sensor anyone got one?

the haltech has a option to control it just a simple off and on setting per bar or rpm. I might not have it set right i need to mess with it more. would you happen to have a link to the 240 forums Evan? I've been looking at z32 sensors but they want almost 200 bucks for one. I would like to ue the stock speedo but it's not a set in stone, gives me a reason to buy a new speedo ;)

Scotty,

Contact JTaylor on here and he can tell you where he got his vvt set at. I know when he got it hooked up that car made 80whp in midrage now how do you like that! lol Good to see that you got her running I got rid of my L28 too and got 2jz with gt42 behind it ; )

Ivo

thanks i will check out the sites..... i do have another problem that i am blaming on the cam sensor. The car wont start after its hot, i know common in some cars with timing issues but get this....... it will start after i bump the key a few times , the injs aren't shooting at all when it is cranking but not starting.

When I read the entire 260 page thread on the RB30 conversion, most people seemed to use the RB25 head, as it was easiest to come by, and a cheap alternative to the GTR head. The problem they had was with the VTC solenoid being switched at the wrong time, due to the new powerband that the RB30 has set. What one person suggested, and displayed through use of 3 dyno graphs (don't think they're hosted anymore though, links are dead) is that you could do TWO runs to test.

one with the VCT always off, and one with the VCT always on by hardwiring it, or by setting it's trigger point RPM in the ecu to 0, and to 9999 rpm (just dont try to activate it when it's set that high, for obvious reasons. LOL) what he then did was find the graphs fall/rise intersection for each run, and pinpointed the point at which VCT would make the most linear power, and the most sense. It apparently worked out exceptionally well, and was a relief to using a larger than factory turbo with the VCT and having it flow smoothly across the wide powerband that the RB30 provides with the DOHC head.

Of course, you could set it to the factory setting, but I think given the fact that you have the ability to adjust it, It wouldn't be a bad idea to giv'r the juice and find out what's best for yaz, in terms of proper air density, elevation, outside temp, all which affect the power output, and thus the effectiveness of such a device. Try and change it up through some tests of your own if you could, and you'll be able to tailor it to your engine, regardless of whether it's stock or not.

and, Congrats on the successful swap :mrgreen:

yea i was thinking the same thing about the spare, luckly i have a buddy with a skyline about 20 mins from me with alot of spare parts. he is going to let me use his spare to see if it still messes up. I was thinking maybe my cas is 180 off, the car will run both ways just on the number 6 cyl first instead of the number 1 cyl. I was making changes this morning while driving into work and when i would retard timing things got better when i advanced them it stayed the same or got worse. hmmmm bad thing is i dont have much time to work on it cuz work has a ton of trucks that have to go out so i am working all the time and not getting quality time with the car. :(

well tried turning the cas 180 car ran ok but still didn't work right. I took the old girl for a ride today and did more tuning and i had to advance the timing according to the haltech to make it run right. It was actually retarding it so something is not right either with the cas or the way the cas is hooked to the haltech. I got a little detonation today so i let off but it runs much stronger and the boost spools up much better. The throttle cable slid in the holder when i was going for my second run so i only had 1/4 throttle wich scared the crap outta me :) . i stopped and fixed it and she ran much better. Another problem i am having and might be linked to the cas is the tach, with any adapter i have bought so far they dont work. I did hook it to the haltech today and the same thing happends revs to about 4500 and then drops out. i did get it up to 6k on the tach when tuning it but it did alot of jumping around. Anyone have a spare cas for sale? also i have two tach adapters for sale :) an autometer one and the msd one pm me if you are interested