HybridZ

Can I convert ls1 Engine auto trans to t56

Can I convert ls1 Engine with auto trans to t56? Will there be any problems with the ecu and harness after the change. Will the car run with that setup? Thanks

The LS1 I bought came with a 4L60E auto trans. I bought a T-56 and installed it in place of the auto. The car ran fine with the computer as-is from the auto. I drove it that way for several months before I finally had it reprogrammed for the 6 speed. It did throw a few codes and the signal for the speedo was wrong but other then that, it still worked fine.

like qwik240z said, you can prolly convert easily from auto to manual because with MT the driver controls all the shifting. Converting MT to auto might pose a problem as the software and sensor that control automatic shifting might not exist in the MT car. I know converting from M6 to A4 is not what you want, but I am just saying.

I am still torn between A4 and M6...qwik240z, do you still have the auto trans?

• 5 months later...

You don't need to rewire the harness. The PCM connectors should have all the wires to support auto trans or the T56. For the auto trans the PCM controls the TCC (Torque converter clutch) and it needs the input signal from the brake. For the T56 I forgot what the PCM controls but it needs the input signal from the clutch. If you need wiring info let me know. I will have to go back to do some more reading on the T56. GL

Vinh

PS. I can rewire the harness also.

You don't need to rewire the harness. The PCM connectors should have all the wires to support auto trans or the T56. For the auto trans the PCM controls the TCC (Torque converter clutch) and it needs the input signal from the brake. For the T56 I forgot what the PCM controls but it needs the input signal from the clutch. If you need wiring info let me know. I will have to go back to do some more reading on the T56. GL

Vinh

PS. I can rewire the harness also.

That's the kind of post I love to see in that you get an answer and an offer to help all at the same time.... Only on HybridZ:smile::-):smile:.

LARRY

Larry,

lol..

Here is the PCM wiring pinouts that I save only the wires that have something to do with both transmissions. Most of these are for the auto trans. I remember there are 3 connectors on the T56 and they are for: Reverse lock out selenoid, Skip shift selenoid and the last one is the reverse light switch. The reverse light switch wires do not go to the PCM. So you just need to remove all the wires for the auto trans and hook up 4 wires from the T56 to the PCM for the reverse lock out selenoid and the skip shift selenoid. Important: Make sure you get the connectors to all the sensors/switches on the T56. GL

Vinh

Document ID# 1021267

2004 Pontiac GTO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Connector End Views

Table 1: PCM Connector C1

Table 2: PCM Connector C2

PCM Connector C1

Connector Part Information

PCM Connector C1 92231110

80-Way Micro-Pack 100W Series Sealed (BU)

Pin

Wire Color

Circuit No.

Function

YE

Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch Signal B

GY

Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch Signal C

BU/WH

Transmission Range Switch Signal A

BN

Cruise Control Release Signal

WH

Transmission Range Switch Signal P

BK/WH

Low Reference - TFT Sensor

YE/RD

Transmission Range Switch Signal B

GN/WH or GY

898 or 587

Shift Solenoid Valve 3 High Control - Skip/Shift Solenoid Control

PCM Connector C2

Connector Part Information

PCM Connector C2 92231110

80-Way Micro-Pack 100W Series Sealed (GN)

Pin

Wire Color

Circuit No.

Function

BN

TCC PWM Solenoid Valve Control

RD

PC Solenoid Valve High Control Sol.A

GY/BU

PC Solenoid Valve Low Control Sol.A

TN

AT ISS Low Signal

BU/WH

AT ISS High Signal

GY/RD

TCC Solenoid Valve Control

YE

Reverse Lock Out Solenoid Control

YE/BK

2-3 Shift Solenoid Valve Control

L-GN

1-2 Shift Solenoid Valve Control

YE/BK

TFT Sensor Signal

GY

Transmission Range Switch Signal C

BN/YE

Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch Signal A

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Document ID# 1021267

2004 Pontiac GTO