HybridZ

LT1 Optispark cap and rotor experience question

I am not looking for a "Best" so I don't end up in the tool shed (:-)) but I wondered about the differences in the different packages and why the big cost difference.

I want to change the cap and rotor on my LT1 before I install it.

I have shopped around and found the MSD cap and rotor for about $150

and the Accel one for about $90 and others vary from $60 to $120

Is there that much a difference in these caps and rotors to warrant such a big swing in prices?

Same goes for the entire Optispark distributors from these manufacturers with MSD wanting almost double everybody else.

What are the differences? anybody have experience with Accel and MSD?

I have 80K on the motor and the Opti is a 95 vented unit, Motor ran fine before I pulled it but figured the ole "While I am at it" should kick in here considering the history of these distributors.

Thanks,

Greg

I'm sure there are a lot of different opinions, but in this case I think you are mainly paying for the name. I have the complete Accel unit and I think it is just as good if not better then original GM or MSD Opti's. I believe the MSD unit has some adjustment capabilities, but I don't know if you could take advantage of that feature.

Thanks Bartman, I figured it was a name and the red color,

I will probably just buy the Accel Cap and rotor kit for now since the Opti works fine and funds are dwindling.

Almost there! prepping the engine bay and the motor, selling off the parts from the donor car SLOWLY!

Still scared SH#$tless of the wiring though.

Thanks,

Greg

I'm actually going through the opticrap experience right now. I've been doing quite a bit of research considering the last time I did this swap in the car in 2003 I could not find a good solution for the opti. Now that MSD has came out with their billet two piece opti I am prolly going to purchase that one. From what I've read the problems people are having with the MSD a very avoidable by just installing the oring gasket around the billet base correctly. Some people are using the LTCC which incorporates the optical sensor and individual coil packs or using the LS1 coils. And you always have the DELTEQ. There are alot of solutions just depends on the route you want to take. If you just want to replace the cap and rotor I would replace it with the MSD cap and rotor. Just personal opinion! (sorry just read you were replacing the cap and rotor only)

Thanks, Yeah I am just doing the cap and rotor for now, I don't have $500 for the MSD distributor or $285 for the Accel distributor

Any specific reason you prefer the MSD cap and rotor?

I am trying to decide if the $70 difference between the Accel and MSD cap and rotor are worth the $70 or is it just the name and a nice red color?

Bartman mentioned the possibility of some adjustment capabilities but didn't know if they were applicable.

Thanks,

Greg

I know for the MSD it is suposed to be a little tougher as far as high rpm concerns. There is no adjustability with the MSD cap and rotor thats actually the new MSD opti it has I believe + or - 5degrees. Yes it is a expensive unit but I think I will be heading in that direction. If you are not spinning your engine over 5800-6000 I think you would be fine with the Accell cap and rotor.

I just put the delteq on my Z. I like the fact that it takes the high current out of the opti. However for the cash I paid for it your would think it would have a decent mounting bracket. Thin cheesy stamped aluminum.

I'll get to the dyno next week I think and see if there is any HP gain betweet the opti and delteq. Not expecting much but it will be interesting because that is the only change that has been made.

What's the point of having an adjustable opti if you can just edit the PCM to control the timing the way you want it to? Not only that but the PCM might actually try to back down the timing if you advance it there?(not sure about this though?)

Guy

I always find these discussions interesting... I am still using the stock, factory original, '96 opti. (Hopefully I don't jinx myself) Mine has over 120K miles on it, and I frequently take it well over 6500 rpms. I have taken it apart to see what condition the cap and rotor are in several times over it's life (various rebuilds/mods etc...) and it still looks great. I am careful about spraying water directly on the opti, and especially when it is hot, but the motor (when it was in my Camaro) saw plenty of bad weather driving. Maybe it is beause I always drove the car regularly and it usually doesn't sit for long periods of time. The motor that is in my 280Z is the original motor that was in my 96 Z28 that I bought new in 96

Maybe one day I'll break down and buy a new one :-)

Jody

What's the point of having an adjustable opti if you can just edit the PCM to control the timing the way you want it to? Not only that but the PCM might actually try to back down the timing if you advance it there?(not sure about this though?)

Guy

Well yes you can adjust the timing with the edit / tunercat but instead of waiting for your flash and then reflash its a little quicker to just bump it 3 to 5 degrees for say like a nitrous application. I do understand what you mean though. Honestly it will prolly be a feature I will never use.

I always find these discussions interesting... I am still using the stock, factory original, '96 opti. (Hopefully I don't jinx myself) Mine has over 120K miles on it, and I frequently take it well over 6500 rpms. I have taken it apart to see what condition the cap and rotor are in several times over it's life (various rebuilds/mods etc...) and it still looks great. I am careful about spraying water directly on the opti, and especially when it is hot, but the motor (when it was in my Camaro) saw plenty of bad weather driving. Maybe it is beause I always drove the car regularly and it usually doesn't sit for long periods of time. The motor that is in my 280Z is the original motor that was in my 96 Z28 that I bought new in 96

Jody

You have been very fortunate! Some work well some don't. Then you get that snowball effect after you replace it. Seems like everthing replaced sensor wise never last as long as the "from the factory stuff".

Jody

I said the same thing about a month before my first one failed. Good luck!

DTS300Z,

It would be easier and faster to just hook up the laptop, flash the PCM and go than fight with loosening the bolts holding the opti in place. The adjustable ability of the MSD opti is provided by slotted holes in the mounts, not the cap.

As for opti problems, I've heard that almost all the horror stories about them come from pre-vented versions, not the 95 and later models.

Wheelman

DTS300Z,

It would be easier and faster to just hook up the laptop, flash the PCM and go than fight with loosening the bolts holding the opti in place. The adjustable ability of the MSD opti is provided by slotted holes in the mounts, not the cap.

As for opti problems, I've heard that almost all the horror stories about them come from pre-vented versions, not the 95 and later models.

Wheelman

Even so they are not that tough to get to. Either way it still takes time. As for the vented I have had 2 '95's and both went on me within months of getting them. 1st one had around 75k and I fought that thing the entire time I owned it until I removed the factory engine management and went with a Haltec E6X with a motronic wheel for the trigger. The opti worked fine to distribute the spark after that. 2nd one my current one has about 120k on it. I had to go into it within the first week of getting the car running clean it, sand down the contacts, etc.. I figured this would be a temp fix until I could afford to get the MSD. Well it ran for about 2 months, good enough for just cleanning it out and slapping it back together. But then again I might just have bad luck with the opti's!