HybridZ

1974 260Z track car. Ground Up.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rear of your rear flares looks like it needs to be tucked in a little more towards the fender lip.

Correct, I just have it up there with a snap clamp. When the bolt holes line up it's correct.

So what are you doing with your other chassis?

Looks like you have it stripped and in primer - or is that just a parts donor?

Well, the plan is to still build the "track car" with the totally bare chassis. The LQ9 6.0L/T56, 12 pt cage, 15x12's with slicks, and all the other misc stuff I have will go on that one.

The newest one in the pics I had originally planned just to repaint. That turned into getting it blasted and repainting it, and now I'm thinking I might as well hold on to it now that I have this much work into it. Going to do it up kind of like an auto-x car. Nothing too crazy, but I think I'll put a lexan rear hatch window in it. Maybe some other simple chassis stiffening.

So those big fatties are going on the track car shell eventually ... are you going for SCCA legal or some sort of drag car? I assume with 4 gigantic tires you are going for road racing ... perhaps VSCDA Group 10 as a GT1 or 2 car :D when you drop the LS9 in. You'd get to compete with some big horse power cars and not really have to run the risk of some Agro pushing you into a wall over .001 on a lap.

• 4 weeks later...

Damn, getting cold, I really need to kick this in the ass to get it painted.. getting closer!!

I've been taking a lot of vitamins lately, which might explain all the extra energy I've had!?

Today I filled some trim holes on both fenders, cut rusty metal out of both fenders, and both sides of the dog legs and patched one fender with new sheet metal.

The dog legs and other fender will be patched tomorrow. Still need to fabricate seat mounts, and patch the tear in the floor where the seat was mounted before.

I've come to the realization that this shell is far from perfect, and I need to just take a step back and go with a 10 foot rule. If it looks good at 10 feet, I'm happy. lol.

Goal is to get it painted, and drive it once.. lol, then maybe this winter I will build an aluminum dash, like the one Myron built.

sheetmetalreplacement.jpg

sheetmetalreplacement2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update!

Well I finally got all of the racing tires from the E-bay seller. Only took 5 months to complete my order, but I guess I didn't exactly need them right away. It is always nice to get what you paid for though.

My GF decided we should remodel my office area (She calls it the baby room :o).

So she's already got a list of other stuff to do, and I put my foot down and said, "After the office is done I will be painting the 260Z before starting any other projects!".

LOL

So I have to put in the crown molding yet and fill a bunch of nail holes and give it another coat of white paint. I'm really getting into this whole wood working thing, pretty neat.

Then some quick body work on the Z, and fabricate some sort of seat mount, and some other minor things and it should be ready for the "tremclad" paint job. I'm doing semi-gloss white, and flat black.

Here is the office nearly completed..

roomm.jpg