HybridZ

best shifter

Guest kc6wfs

I'm running a B+M ratchet (quicksilver?) in my 240. I have a pic of it on my web page. It was only around $170.00 or so from PAW.

Very easy to install, no cutting needed.

As far as junkyard types not sure.

The Camaros had 4spd auto shufters.

You might try pulling one and see if it will fit.

Measure the hole in the Z before you go.

Dave

------------------

www.geocities.com/kc6wfs/240z.html

www.NitroPhotos.com

Guest Anonymous

I tried to modify the stock one in my zx, and didn't like it. I ended up buying a megashifter from b&m, it worked slick, and it didnt look too bad. Sorry, no pics, since I took it out before I was able to. I'm putting a t56 in now. I could hook you up with a deal on mine, including the 3 foot cable so it will all work good. Let me know

sean

------------------

"I feel the need, the need for speed!!"

"Don't hate the player, hate the game!"

hey.to/ellobo

I'm running a B&M hammer shifter, and have been mostly happy with it. Some of the stuff they do is a little cheap, but it works really good. I'll agree with John in saying that you most likely want a rachet style shifter. First gear goes by awfully quick with a 700R4 in a Z. That is one shift you do not want to miss.

Also, Ross C brought up a good idea of recessing these shifters into the trans tunnel. It's a very good idea and could easily be done, but I mounted mine flush to the trans tunnel. Yeah, it sticks up a little, but it's in the perfect driving position for me.

Picture of Shifter:

http://grannypotts.freeservers.com/cgi-bin/i/witeface.jpg

-Andy

[This message has been edited by Andrew Bayley (edited April 02, 2001).]

stupid question: why would you want to shift while moving with the automatic? you guys put your cars in low gear for a launch when youre racing? im still just getting set up for the conversion, so i definetly dont know how the auto will work with the z.

Some of these automatic transmissions we are using shift at rather low RPM's. I personally shift out of 1st gear at about 6300 rpm. If I left the shifter in "D", the 1st to 2nd shift would happen around 4500 rpm. This would not be ideal in my situation. Also, shifting myself makes sure I get no surprises when running down the track.

-Andy

P.S. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

------------------

"But I don't sit idly by,

I'm planning a big surprise."

Andrew's Land of Z and Honey

[This message has been edited by Andrew Bayley (edited April 02, 2001).]