HybridZ

35W Bridge collapse

buZy

I live about 3 miles from the bridge and just crossed it this morning. Now its gone. Saw the scene myself tonight. Very bad. This bridge was huge about 1000 ft long and 50 ft above the river. Video does not do the tremdous damage justice. Surreal. Our city wont be the same for quite some time. I pray for the people hurt and loss of life.

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_213191448.html

do they salt the roads in the winter there?last april i towed a boat from california to new jersey.in illinois,ohio,indiana i noticed the bottem of the bridges are all rusty.probably from 3 or 4 months of wet winters.something most californians would think about.the eastern span of san francisco bay bridge is getting rebuilt because of earthquake standards.the bridges in sf bay area are getting painted non stop.bridge tols are $4-up from $2 2 years ago.

Oh they salt the roads here. They say the bridge though had a non-corrosive de-icing system installed few years ago. But it was rusty in areas like you mentioned. Who knows yet why it fell. I'm not a bridge designer but to me it could have been more built with more mass, i.e upper arch above the deck etc. Or inspected more often being it was by far the most heavily used span in our state. I know accidents happen but one would think in this day of science they could have closed the bridge before it fell. Even just in case it might be prone to fall? On a national score 1 to 9 it ranked a 4, if you can put that number into some kind of perspective good luck. Idiots! Cheap penny pinching bastards, it cost us way more now. Finally shows how screwed up the current priorities in this state are, though too bad it had to come to this.

Another classic example of putting too much of your trust and safety into big government ideals.

(sorry mods for being poiltical, i know the rules. it wont happen again.)