HybridZ

280Z windshield replacement

deja

Anyone in the Atlanta are know of a place that can replace a 280Z windshield, and do it right? I'm a little leery of using the standard parking lot windshield replacement people. I've got the dash out of my car so I thought now would be a great time to replace the windshield. The car is already painted and unfortunately whoever painted it did not remove the windshield first, so I need someone who will take some extra care not to mess up the paint.

Anyone in the Atlanta are know of a place that can replace a 280Z windshield, and do it right? I'm a little leery of using the standard parking lot windshield replacement people. I've got the dash out of my car so I thought now would be a great time to replace the windshield. The car is already painted and unfortunately whoever painted it did not remove the windshield first, so I need someone who will take some extra care not to mess up the paint.

You can remove the windshield yourself, just cut through the old seal with a razor knife. I haven't had the best luck with the parking lot guys either, but I don't know that this is necessarily their fault. Well OK, the guy who scratched the A pillar was at fault, but other than that guy, I think the problem is the seals are crap. I had a new aftermarket seal and the windshield leaked every time it was replaced. I found that the easiest way to get the windshield to seal was by taking a tube of clear silicone and putting the tip UNDER the lip of the weatherstrip and putting a bead in underneath the gasket. Worked well and didn't leave a bunch of goop all over. The other problem I had was that the sheet metal underneath the seal was rusty. I think this is because the seal let water in, but my silicone job wouldn't let it out.

With your car painted already I think you're just going to have to hope that your old seal shrunk and that the new seal will overlap the color change. I don't know of another way to fix that issue, aside from painting that area again if the seal isn't big enough...

You can remove the windshield yourself, just cut through the old seal with a razor knife. I haven't had the best luck with the parking lot guys either, but I don't know that this is necessarily their fault. Well OK, the guy who scratched the A pillar was at fault, but other than that guy, I think the problem is the seals are crap. I had a new aftermarket seal and the windshield leaked every time it was replaced. I found that the easiest way to get the windshield to seal was by taking a tube of clear silicone and putting the tip UNDER the lip of the weatherstrip and putting a bead in underneath the gasket. Worked well and didn't leave a bunch of goop all over. The other problem I had was that the sheet metal underneath the seal was rusty. I think this is because the seal let water in, but my silicone job wouldn't let it out.

With your car painted already I think you're just going to have to hope that your old seal shrunk and that the new seal will overlap the color change. I don't know of another way to fix that issue, aside from painting that area again if the seal isn't big enough...

I not sure I want to attempt even removong the old one myself, we'll see how brave I get.

Never thought about the new seal not covering the new paint edge, good point. I really can't believe the previous owner went to all that expense of a nice new paint job and didn't remove the horrible old windshield first