HybridZ

Charcoal canister question...

tommyboy

i would not leave it off it doesent do much except collect fuel vapors when your fuel expands in the tank. when you fire up the engine it sucks the vapors into the intake and burns it. and as far as i am concerned, it only takes up a little weight, not performance

True, but it also has two other vaccuum line coming out of it. One goes to the top of the intake manifold and the other seems to run under the manifold...maybe to the TB or the hoses on the manifold somewhere. I just hate havin all these damn vaccuum hoses running everywhere when I don't need 'em. Grrr...

If you live somewhere where they don't require a carbon canister, it can be removed.

This is how you could do it on a ZX: Cap off the line at the bottom of the TB, top of the intake manifold, and one at the intake boot. Remove the hose for the fuel tank line but DON'T cap off the fuel line!! At this point, there are no more hoses so problem solved. Eh, you can remove the carbon canister too if you want.:mrgreen:

As for the hard tubing from the fuel tank that remains in the engine bay, it is better to not just leave it there, or else fuel vapors can collect and you know what that could mean when you go to start your car on a hot summer day after work...

The best solution I've heard so far is to cut the fuel line back by the filler neck and make a loop so it will be less likely that fuel sloshes out or contaminants go in. There is an access panel in the wheel well on ZX's not sure about 280Z's. You can also use a filter on the end too.

There has already been dicussions on this...I'm sure you could find them if you :search: for it. Seems like almost everything z-related has been discussed here a time or two and then some!! :shock:

So, Can I cap off the TB line and the intake manifold line and leave the fuel hard line connected to the charcoal chamber? Or would that not work.?

You would save the weight of the tubing that you removed...what is your goal anyway? What are you after? Is the cannister suspect in a malfunction, are you troubleshooting, what do you expect to gain by the removal---why do you want to remove it?

It's just that I'm wanting to dress up the engine bay. I'm removing my stock intake manifold and replacing it with an N-42 manifold so I'm trying to take out as many vaccuum lines that run to the intake as possible. So far most of 'em are except those 2 damn ones from the canister. (Which I wouldn't mind so much except that they span the entire engine) I know that the fuel tank breathes through the canister...so my question is, can I take those 2 vaccuum lines off of the intake and leave the fuel tank breather connected to the canister. Would that do any harm?

I think that would be fine...it is now an open system because you don't have the vacuum to purge the vapor from the carbon hooked up anymore. The carbon container is basically just a big filter that way. It won't hurt performance leaving it that way as long as you don't plug the barbs for the lines on the canister that you removed...

Maybe you're right that there are only two purge lines and the fuel tank vapor line.

OK just to clarify, the small line from the diaphram on top of the canister goes to the T fitting inline with the dizzy, what this does is open the PURGE line to the intake to burn the collected vapors. now to clean up this line, you can run it along the frame rail with your wire harness to the firewall, then up the back to the sealing lip , going under the hood latch, then run it to the back of the intake and along you fuel rail. and connect it to the stock location, or to the line that runs to the A/C vacuum motors on the fender next to the canister if you have an a/c system. you can do the same with the other line, and run it the same way to the vacuum T fitting for the throttle body to distributer line. for dress you can use braided steel line, or covers for the hoses and use a larger cover for both lines to run in together. hope this helps, soryy for the long post

OK just to clarify, the small line from the diaphram on top of the canister goes to the T fitting inline with the dizzy, what this does is open the PURGE line to the intake to burn the collected vapors. now to clean up this line, you can run it along the frame rail with your wire harness to the firewall, then up the back to the sealing lip , going under the hood latch, then run it to the back of the intake and along you fuel rail. and connect it to the stock location, or to the line that runs to the A/C vacuum motors on the fender next to the canister if you have an a/c system. you can do the same with the other line, and run it the same way to the vacuum T fitting for the throttle body to distributer line. for dress you can use braided steel line, or covers for the hoses and use a larger cover for both lines to run in together. hope this helps, soryy for the long post

Umm, yeah. My line that goes from the diaphram on the canister doesn't connect to the T fitting inline with the dizzy. It connects to the bottom of the TB nowhere even near where the dizzy connects. And I noticed that it wasn't even connected and I don't think has been for some time considering how much the line has been degraded. So in all actuality, I don't think I need either one connected. Thankx though! BTW I have a N/A '81 280ZX 2+2