HybridZ

My Z leaking motor oil.

djbit

My car: 1972 240z with 83 280zx motor + tranny, purchased last week. Anyways, I believe the cause of the oil drip are lose oil pan bolts. To get to the ones on the back, near the tranny, there is this thing that looks like some type of mount. I circled it below. There is an identical one on the other side. Can I take these off to get to the oil pan bolts being blocked by these? What is that thing anyways? THANKS!

supportthingy.jpg

Since it looks like the lower bolt is not there, that bracket is doing nothing anyway. I think it's supposed to support the lower part of the bell housing to the block. Don't overtighten the pan bolts. It will make a warped mess out of the oil pan flange. Instead, take it off, put on a new gasket and use some Permatex #2 on both sides of the gasket. Torque 1/2 spec. After 12 hours, torque to spec. No more leaks!

If you go to the trouble of replacing the oil pan gasket, you might as well check the pan for warpage. I'm in the process of building a couple of engines and found that on both of them, someone had cranked the pan bolts down so that the pans would never seal. I spent about an hour carefully hammering the flanges flat checking them with a straight edge. This process is definately worth the effort!

I will definitely check for this while the pan in out. Thanks for the heads up.

If you go to the trouble of replacing the oil pan gasket, you might as well check the pan for warpage. I'm in the process of building a couple of engines and found that on both of them, someone had cranked the pan bolts down so that the pans would never seal. I spent about an hour carefully hammering the flanges flat checking them with a straight edge. This process is definately worth the effort!

• 2 months later...

You maybe be right. I double checked this and it does appear to come somewhere else rather than the oil pan. Ergh!

To replace the rear main seal, you have take off the tranny right?

That might be your rear main seal that is leaking and not the oil pan. I just finished with the same problem. I had oil around the same place.