HybridZ

Stock Brake Pads at NHIS

Would have added this to my previous thread, but I was locked out of it.

I just wanted to report back, the stock pads are completely inadequate for NHIS. I had to take it extremely easy braking in turn 3 and going into the bowl in order for them to be cool enough for the very scary turn 9.

BTW, to jmortensen who basically flamed me and then deleted my last post; not only had I seen the links that you sent me, but the only relevant info (relating to brake PADS) was this:

"The stock Z brakes are adequate for street driving, autox, and drag racing.

This is especially true if you upgrade the pads to suit your driving. KVR, Porterfield, Hawk, and others make proven pads and shoes for aggressive driving in Z's. "

Which I had seen, but still didn't answer my question at all.

There are worse things than a little redundancy.

So, thanks, and I hope this post might be useful to somebody to some degree.

First time I was at NHIS I had street pads also. Cooked them so bad they started to chunk. When I completely lost braking from boiling fluid and hit nothing but floor at the end of the straight before the oval, I called it a day and replaced the stockers with a set of Hawks. Sorry I didn't see your post sooner.

Joe

In your previous post everyone said they wouldn't cut it. Some even offered suggestions. I did my first track day with Autozone pads (pre internet). It is scary haveing brake fad at the end of a long straight. I ran Repco (now Axxis) Metal Masters until going with bigger brakes. I owuld get sucked into the larger caliper, stock rotor thing. If you go the Toy route go with a vented rotor.