Weird Words / Sayings

CArFAn

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the weirdest phrase EVER

"I could care less"

It bothers the hell out of me whenever someone says that, because they mean "I couldn't care less" meaning there's no way they could care any less than they do, but by saying "I could care less" they're saying that they DO care.

unless it's followed with a "but", as in "i could care less, but"

and do you have any idea how much that phrase bothers me... ??

MY LAST NAME IS "CARE" :cry:

that's the point. the phrase "You can't have your cake and eat it too" means, you can't have it both ways. Say you have 2 things you want to buy, but only enough to buy one or the other, you have to make a choice, since you can't have both.

the choice of "cake" makes it a dumb saying.

when was the last time you had to pay to buy a cake, and then pay again to eat it?

If I bought a cake, i'd have the chance of eating it. Infact, buying a cake for someone to eat is pretty much "one" way of having things, not neccessarily "two".

I always think greetings are weird. "High how are you?" "Oh, great couldn't be better!"

Have you ever really given someone an honest response? They just look at you like your nuts. Are most people really just great? I seriously doubt it.

We should all just look at each other and grunt.

the choice of "cake" makes it a dumb saying.

when was the last time you had to pay to buy a cake, and then pay again to eat it?

If I bought a cake, i'd have the chance of eating it. Infact, buying a cake for someone to eat is pretty much "one" way of having things, not neccessarily "two".

haha, imagine it more like you just baked the most amazing looking cake that was at the same time the most delicious.

You don't want to eat it because it looks so amazing, but at the same time you DO want to eat it because it tastes so delicious. But you can't do both. If you eat it, you no longer can look at it, but if you don't eat it, you can't taste it.

Semantic analysis

Given: A cake sits before you; you have it.

Given: Then you eat it.

Observation: Now you no longer have the cake, because you have eaten it.

Conclusion: You cannot have your cake if you eat it.

Inversion: If you eat it, you no longer have the cake.

Synthesis: You cannot have your cake and eat it, too.

that's the point. the phrase "You can't have your cake and eat it too" means, you can't have it both ways. Say you have 2 things you want to buy, but only enough to buy one or the other, you have to make a choice, since you can't have both.

No... it's not the point.

It's like if I buy one of the two things that I want, then have to use it as a coffee table instead of putting it on my car.

I know what the saying is supposed to mean. Like you said "you can't have it both ways. The cake scenario does not apply though.

haha, imagine it more like you just baked the most amazing looking cake that was at the same time the most delicious.

You don't want to eat it because it looks so amazing, but at the same time you DO want to eat it because it tastes so delicious. But you can't do both. If you eat it, you no longer can look at it, but if you don't eat it, you can't taste it.

Thank you, Much better revised version... submit it to wikipedia.

Semantic analysis

Given: A cake sits before you; you have it.

Given: Then you eat it.

Observation: Now you no longer have the cake, because you have eaten it.

Conclusion: You cannot have your cake if you eat it.

Inversion: If you eat it, you no longer have the cake.

Synthesis: You cannot have your cake and eat it, too.

I don't eat full cakes in one sitting...

But, I do see the point in that breakdown, well explained.

For all you guys from Chicago...One of my favorite sayings was when I was a kid,my grandpa used to say, 'borrow me $50 until Milwaukee Ave. staightens out'.I never knew what he was talking about for years,but now,think it's pretty funny.See if you guys can figure it out...

I always think greetings are weird. "High how are you?" "Oh, great couldn't be better!"

Have you ever really given someone an honest response? They just look at you like your nuts. Are most people really just great? I seriously doubt it.

We should all just look at each other and grunt.

I tell people at work that I'm about to hang myself. It's funny how many get concerned.

My favorite is the response "Not bad." What is that, Good? Fine? Anything but bad? Then there is the derivative "Not too bad." Well it's a good thing it's not REALLY bad, but it could still be sort of bad? Im as guilty a person as any for saying it, though!

- Greg -