HybridZ

how to limit the hy35?

Nismo720

Im up for suggestions. The stock turbo on my engine is shot as far as i can tell as of yet. i have not taken it apart yet but i can move the turbine blade about a half inch either way it just jiggles around in there, thats why i am needing a solution for some performance stuff, but running the stock 7psi for now.

Maybe i should just get a stock replacement?? any suggestions?

I bought something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Dual-port-Wastegate-Actuator-Turbo-Garrett_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ020QQitemZ300144073040QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

You will then have to Fab up a bracket to hold it (look at BigPhils videos).

I also ported my wastegate and can hold 4.5psi at the minimum adjustment.

The wastegate is adjustable by turning the thread (like you said)

The wastegate on the Holset can be ported several ways...it's very easy to take the exhaust housing off and take it to a machine shop, ask them to bore the hole out to just under the size of the puck that blocks it.

You could do it yourself but it will take a lot more work that way.

Here is a before and after of the porting on my Holset

3564_thumb.attach

3565_thumb.attach

oh ok i understand now thanks guys! i actually have a local machine shop that does good work i might pic up a holset for a good price (if possible) and have him bore it out for me, then use my stock z actuator.

My final question is can the holset hook up to the stock downpipe and intake hose? Or what kind of mods do you have to do to make it work?

It has a T3 flange so will bolt onto standard manifold, the exhaust exit is 4" so you will need to reduce that gradually to fit your exhaust ?(bigger the better)

On the intke side you will need to remove the small pins that stop the compressor side from rotating, you can then rotate the housing to the correct position, this is why you need to fab a bracket to hold the actuator as you will need to cut existing bracket off the housing in order to get it to fit. Once you have it in the right place you will need some reducers and various lengths of pipe to connect it.

Its pretty easy if you have all the bits.

If you're keeping the engine standard the Holset wil be a bit of an overkill

no im not planning on keeping it stock i just need to only run the stock 7psi at first cuz the engine will be stock at first.

Rig the stock 280ZX wastegate to fit to the Holset. Be careful on your first run to make sure it's holding right. If the distance from the wastegate actuator to the arm of the flapper is different, it will affect the preload of the spring in the actuator and therefore change your boost pressure. This is what the adjustable actuators do; they are just a threaded rod to change preload on the flapper.

My final question is can the holset hook up to the stock downpipe and intake hose? Or what kind of mods do you have to do to make it work?

I don't think so. The outlet of most Holsets are v-band. You can get an elbow from the Cummins truck as well; it's about a 60 degree cast iron elbow but it's v-band at both ends as well. I think it tapers down to 4" v-band. Many ppl buy the elbow and weld a stainless reduction onto it to take it down to 3".

Take a look at this thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=120730

Study the pics in detail. There are several showing the wastegate mounted to the intake manifold and other things.

• 2 weeks later...