HybridZ

Checking Powerslot Install

fp280z

So, after reading lots of Powerforce damper posts on this forum, I cleaned and lubed up the crank nose, made sure the woodruff key was properly aligned, cleaned up the keyway in the damper, and got to work. I also made a mark on the top of the damper corresponding to the key slot to ease lining it up.

The thing was still a bear to install. Very tight but the new "motorsport" crank bolt had plenty of thread to pull the sucker on there with an impact, it took a lot of torque though. As with anything I do, now that it's on the stress begins. In an effort to help me sleep at night, what's the easiest way to check that the pulley went on correctly? Meaning, the key is correctly in place and the back of the pulley is not mushroomed around the key. (Yes, doom and gloom.)

The engine is out of the car on a stand. I've already sealed the oil pan so I'd rather not do that again if I don't have to. I do have a full set of gaskets. Pull the oil pump? Or can you see all the way down there with the valve cover off? After install, I stuck a piece of cotter pin into the damper key slot and it stopped after going in about 1/2" so I know the key did not fall out completely.

Any opinions would be appreciated. This is an autocross car that gets 5-10 minutes of use every other weekend so it's not like the pulley's going to come off on the highway but I want to make sure I do what I can to make sure it's safe.

Thanks.

-Rick

www.typeischeap.com

I took a measurement from the end of the crank snout to the tip of the key, and it is 1/4". I found that a 1/4" trimmed zip tie works perfect for checking this.

As for the specs, I think you both are right. Nissan OEM dampers have a slip fit, while aftermarket and Nissan competition want more of a press fit since they will see more load. 0.001"-0.015" interference fit is what I've been told is recommended along with some green locktite.

Once installed (successfully) the first thing to go seems to be the elastomer material. It is a good idea to mark the inner and outer halves with an indentation so you'll know if they start moving relative to each other.

Most of this info I'm regurgitating is from trustworthy sources here on Hybridz.

HTH!