HybridZ

what's the name of this law?

TheNeedForZ

It's a law that says any invention from any student, staff, facuty member of a college/university that is the result of using the college/university's resources (equipment, funds, people) belongs to the college/university.

Meaning if you are a student at XX university, XX university is entitled to inventions that you come up with during your enrollment in that university.

Most colleges/universities have this policy if not all of them. I recall there is a name for this law...what is it?

thanks

My company calls it intellectual property.

My company goes one step further and says any idea I have at any time and under any circumstances while an employee of the company belongs to the company.

So say while doing the little woman I come up with the idea for an improved dildo I can strap to my chin, I need to ask the comany if they want it before I can try to market it.

Yeah right.....

My company will take my ideas, do all the legwork, submit the paperwork, pay the dues, put my name on the patent, usually also at least one of the superiors names also goes on, and then I get $1 and a plaque when the patent is granted!

WOOO F'ING HOO!

It's like leaving the waitress a penny.

There are intellectual property laws but I havent heard of anything as broad stroke as "if youre a student researching at university X, any discoveries belong to the university". In the corporate world all of this is governed by IP and confidentiality contracts -- not sure if there is a special law for learning institutions, but somehow I doubt that. Once the contract establishes who owns the IP, then the laws are there to protect the use of it. Also, you dont have to have a patent to prove IP.

- Greg -

IP can be proven proved by as little as a sketch, initialed with a date, on a napkin. Like anything, the more solid proof of IP you have, the better chance you have of winning a case. We keep notebooks of all our work and they are signed and dated periodically by a notary or a witness.

well, just believe me when I say most college/university have this policy. Just like in corporate policies, you can't submit a patent application in secret. You have to submit to the school. If they give up on the invention then the student can have it. I am asking for the name of the law so I can look more into it, see how it is reinforced or how strongly it is reinforced. Since students don't sign any agreements or contracts when they enroll a school, maybe they cannot reinforce this policy.

Since students don't sign any agreements or contracts when they enroll a school, maybe they cannot reinforce this policy.

Even if you didn't sign a specific assignment of IP or similar agreement, it is probable that a condition of attendance is that you assign IP created while enrolled and using the school's facilities. You may have signed something saying you agree to abide by school policies as outlined in the student handbook, or it may even just be stated in the policies that by paying tuition you are agreeing.

If you come up with a good idea, can't you just put it on a word doc on your own computer at home. Computers have multiple time stamps on stuff. The problem with schools and some companies that if they send you (to school) or teach you they believe that they bought the ideas you come up with. They do have a point (companies) but schools dont unless your have a scharship. My spelling suckks! Bottom line dont talk about it at work or write any thing down at work, no emails or phone calls ethier. There have been many cases won in court by individuals this way.