HybridZ

fake greddy intake plenum review/problem/question

bryan01

so for 300$ i was happy with what i got. all the holes lined up to bolt onto the engine, all the injector ports lined up w/ the injectors on the rail. i was actually pretty impressed. the car drove at boost on the dyno for about 3 hours and everything was good.

i was driving around yesterday a few miles from home and the upper rad hose popped off. this was the first time out on the road so it was more to work out the kinks close to home type of drive. anyways, i opened the hood and realized the hose didn't pop off, but the press-fit tube that it clamps onto that goes into the intake plenum came out. to describe it better if you dont know, it's a 3" long alum tube that is supposed to be press fit 1.5" into the cast aluminum plenum, and then you clamp the upper rad hose onto the exposed 1.5". well it was pushed out! ... so i pushed it back in the best i could and drove it the 2 miles home, filled it back up w/ water and ran it for a little while parked infront of my apt at a cool 177 deg. doesn't seem to have been too drastic, but i'm going to change the oil anyways, since it got overworked by taking the heating hit w/o having coolant in the car for a few minutes.

anyways, since it pushed out once, there's no way to press fit it back in w/o some help since it's obviously not sized correctly for a press fit. is there some high temp rtv that i can use that will stick it in there? jb weld? or do i have to convince my friend to buy that TIG welder he's always wanted, push the tube in, and weld around the edge?

also, is something else wrong that would pressurize the coolant line so much that this would push out or is that normal?

For a quick fix, clean and rough up both surfaces and use jb weld. Let it set for a day or so and you'll be good to go. I've got a gas tank repaired for going on 13 years with jb weld. Still does not leak

Are you sure both pieces are aluminum? If so, of course th TIG would be the best repair but most of the press in fittings I've seen like that are steel pressed into the aluminum. GM does there water pumps this way.

good luck

I vote JB weld.

I have an HKS knockoff blowoff valve that I just put on my car. It has the goofy HKS mounting style with the snap ring. I didn't want to buy the damn thing just to run a cheapo knockoff valve.

I took apart my turbo XS (POS is more like it, it leaked), and used the inlet from that. Epoxied last night. Running 17psi today no problems.

Evan

make sure and prep the surface well and you will be rewarded with a very durable repair.