HybridZ

RB20DET vs CA18DET ? any opinions?

PSi

I havent decided which id like to use in my 280zx, I looked into doing a Single cam KA-T setup but im bored with KA's and i want something a bit more rare...

This being the RB section i would expect the answer to be RB across the board but this forum surprises me with level headed ppl every day ( i guess cause not a lot of kids can afford what we do)

Cost isnt really an issue cause CA or RB is gonna be expensive to swap into a S130 ...

I just want pros and cons from everyone ..... =)

-PSi

Im not really interested in other engines as ive allready narrowed the 2 that i like to tune in S13/14's (I come from a 240sx background) But i myself am leaning towards the RB20 just for the tq.

I would suggest the RB20 for several reasons including what you mentioned. While getting parts for an RB20 might not be the easiest, the CA was only used for 2 years in the Silvia and parts are even more difficult to source. You make a good point in that both will cost nearly the same to do. Why not then choose the one that will offer more flexibility down the road?

Brian

^agreed. the RB has tons of go fast parts available. aaaannnnd.... if you DO ever decide to go with another RB there will be less stuff you will have to worry about in the future. plus, mathematics inform us that 6>4 any day ;)

I really agree with all of this info and im leaning on the RB..

Honestly i was thinking the same thing meaning i cant afford the RB25 at the moment i can afford to do an SR KA RB20 or CA , im bored with KA's and SR's just arnt my thing.. that left the CA and RB... I figured ive tuned some CA's to push over 300hp easy but they are revers not TQ monsters, and this is what drew me to the KA tons of TQ... With that being said, i figured if i went with the RB20 the RB25 swap would be easier later on down the road.....

Im still not sure.... Im getting the entire CA or RB motorset (harness, ecu, trans, mafs, engine, and actually the RB i may be geting comes with an extra head (the importer is a friend of mine we have done work for over the years and he had an extra from a bad block)

This is the worst part of swaps.. The options....

Thanks for the input though guys and thanks for ACTUALLY reading my post =)

-PSi

I would suggest the RB20 for several reasons including what you mentioned. While getting parts for an RB20 might not be the easiest, the CA was only used for 2 years in the Silvia and parts are even more difficult to source. You make a good point in that both will cost nearly the same to do. Why not then choose the one that will offer more flexibility down the road?

Brian

In all fairness to the CA most parts are cross referenced over to the CA16DE that came in the Pulsar NX years ago, and the CA was used for way longer than 2 years it started in the S12 silvia (RWD 200sx in our market) many years before the S13 was introduced not to mention many other cars...

Kinda like the FJ20ET was originally in the first turbo skyline R31 i believe but dont feel like looking it up) before it showed up in the early S12 silvia SE (JDM)

-PSi

I was simply referring to the production years of the specific motor you mentioned, the rear drive CA18det. I am aware of the other lesser versions. And the likely hood of you using parts from a US market Pulsar Ca16 seems remote. As for the FJ, it was actually used in the 1983 DR30 Skyline, not the R31.

Brian

I was simply referring to the production years of the specific motor you mentioned, the rear drive CA18det. I am aware of the other lesser versions. And the likely hood of you using parts from a US market Pulsar Ca16 seems remote. As for the FJ, it was actually used in the 1983 DR30 Skyline, not the R31.

Brian

Srry man i just thought you were tearing it apart with words and i hold a special place in my heart for the CA18DET as it was my first JDM powerplant ever used in one of my own cars (1989 240sx)..

Nad your right i went back and looked it up.. DR30 it was... Reason i said i wasnt sure but was too lazy to look it up =)

-PSi

OK im re-thinking this and i think im going to actually spend a little more than i have and do the RB25 ...

My wife actually made the point as odd as it may seem...

SHe knows me and im not gonna leave the RB20 alone im gonna mod it, (this is true) so why not spend my money on the RB25?

THis puts off the start of my project a month or 2 but i think it will be worth the wait... Im also thinking of buying a 260z (local dealer has one) and dropping the RB in it instead of doing the swap to my allredy running strong 280ZXT.....

We will see regardless im thinking of now the RB25 instead of the RB20, just seems more practical (I was under the illusion i would keep everyhting stock on the RB20)....

-PSi

from what i understand , rb20's are garbage compared to the 25/26's that is why i suggested you would splurge for rb25 .

Yeah... Im not calling the rb20 junk as its a potenet engine in a 240sx (ive done a few S14's with RB20's) but the RB25 is much more power friendly.