HybridZ

new to the 71 240Z, what are the best size wheels, and what

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i just got my car and i love it but i am having a hard time figuring out what wheels to get, i will be autoX it and i thought 16's would be good but what width? i really only know that the stocks are 14's but i still don't know what width they are either. by the way i have eibach springs and koni shocks. :confused:

Howdy, 71L28Z (dang, that's tough to type. What's your name?)

Honestly, there's about a million opinions on wheel/tire combinations, which is the best to run, and what will fit.

Generally, here's what I've gleaned from the list in a nutshell:

In a PROPERLY backspaced rim, a 215 width tire is about the biggest tire that will fit just about everyone's totally stock car without any rubbing.

If you fit a coilover conversion kit, you can fit a wider tire.

A 17 inch wheel can look trendy on these cars, but can also look quite good depending on the style. What I seem to be hearing from lots of members is that 17 inchers are too large, and make the ride too harsh for daily use. Those with iron butts will disagree. smile.gif

There aren't many aftermarket wheels out there (at least, that arern't custom) that will fit a classic Z anymore. Getting a set of offset adapters from Ross Corrigan (also on this list - Look around for a while and you'll find him) will allow you to run Honda wheels.

That's about it. Stay with good, sticky rubber, and your Z will reward you with many miles of happy driving.

Oh, and 95 percent of any questions you may have in the future have already been answered. Use the "Search" function at the top of the page to look up specific material. You can have fun digging around there for hours, and come up with answers to questions you haven't asked yet!

I have 16x7 Centerlines on my car. 4" backspacing 0 offset. They have 205 55 16's that are almost exactly same height as stock. NO clearance issues with stock diameter springs. All 4 tires same size lets you rotate tires as well. I am super pleased with this combo and highly recommend it.

I have two sets of wheels for my car.

The first is a set of Centerline Billet Scorpions (15 x 8 with a 5 in backspace). On these, I have Dunlop SP8000 tires 245/50/15 on rear, and 225/50/15 on front.

The other wheels are Centerline Billet style 816 (16 x 8 with 5 in backspace). On these are mounted 245/45/16 Kumho Victoracers.

These tires all fit within the factory wheelwells on a Z fitted with coil-overs.

Centerlines are good because they let you specify the bolt pattern and backspace. They are relatively inexpensive (~$160 /wheel), and are fairly light (~16#/wheel for the 15", ~18#/wheel for the 16").

There are lighter wheels out there but are generally much more expensive.

Dan,

What length spring are you running on your coil overs? I've heard you need to run an 8" spring to get the spring perch above the tire with 8" wheels. Haven't seen you post in a while, good to have you back.

Go here: http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001698 for the most recent discussion. I've got 225/50-15 street tires. very minor rubbing at the rear fender lip. I've had 215/60-15s that rubbed at the front valence at full steering lock. My wheels are 15X7 zero offset (4" backspacing). I don't think you can go much/any wider or taller than 225/50-15 without having to address clearance issues at the fender lip and/or spring perch.

I have 10" springs fron and rear. (250lb/in on rear, and 200lb/in front)

With 15 x 8 5" wheels BS wheels

On the front, I have ~1/8" clearance between tire and spring. On rear, I have ~1/2" clearance.

With 16 x 8 5" BS

On the front I have ~3/8" clearance, and 5/8" clearance in rear.

I don't like the idea of going to an 8" spring because you have to run ~350lb/in to prevent spring stack.

Guest Anonymous

i was thinking of getting some 16x8's with a 245/45 tire combo but what wheels out there are that size and fit the 71 Z with my suspension, and can they fit? :confused:

Sam,

You can't run an 8" wheel with the stock springs. The coil overs use a smaller diameter spring which allows for a larger wheel.

Thanks Dan,

My coil overs have 10" springs and I like several of the Centerline Billet Series. Keep trying to make up my mind whether to go to five lug or not. Sounds like with the Centerlines I won't need to.

Guest Anonymous

well since i do have eibach springs & tokico shocks does this mean that 16x8's are possible with a 245/45 tire? also what do you guys think of that spacer that makes your 4 bolt pattern like the hondas pattern, i believe its 100mm? ;)

Eibach makes replacement springs and springs for coil overs. Look at the base of the spring and see if you have a threaded sleeve and collar. If you do then you have coil overs and can use the 8" wheels. Look at this link for pictures of what a coil over setup look like.

Originally posted by Jeff:

Sam,

You can't run an 8" wheel with the stock springs...

A friend has run 8" width on a stock fendered/sprung Z with 245's and no clearance issues, certainly not a common combo on a stock suspensioned car but his did clear fine.

"also what do you guys think of that spacer that makes your 4 bolt pattern like the hondas pattern, i believe its 100mm?"

Do a search on this forum and other Z car forums and you'll find feedback. Any q's, drop me a line as I've run spacers for some time now and sell the Z to Honda's you mentioned above. Assuming you're not a fan of the rims that do bolt on your car, they offer a safe option to step to the easily available Honda b.p. and offset wheels that can be cheap (used aftermarket) or as fancy as your budget allows.

here's some quick comments on them

comments

Their are guys on this forum running them.

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by Ross C:

quote:

Originally posted by Jeff:

Sam,

You can't run an 8" wheel with the stock springs...
A friend has run 8" width on a stock fendered/sprung Z with 245's and no clearance issues, certainly not a common combo on a stock suspensioned car but his did clear fine.

"also what do you guys think of that spacer that makes your 4 bolt pattern like the hondas pattern, i believe its 100mm?"

Do a search on this forum and other Z car forums and you'll find feedback. Any q's, drop me a line as I've run spacers for some time now and sell the Z to Honda's you mentioned above. Assuming you're not a fan of the rims that do bolt on your car, they offer a safe option to step to the easily available Honda b.p. and offset wheels that can be cheap (used aftermarket) or as fancy as your budget allows.

here's some quick comments on them

Their are guys on this forum running them.

what type of wheels did he have? i am just having trouble figuring out the offset and i cant find too many wheels in 16x8