HybridZ

Battery question

tkach

Here is my problem I need to find a battery that is fairly externally small in order to “hideâ€. However after hours of searching I cannot seem to find the information I am looking for. I need to know how much power output I need from my battery in order to crank my stock compression 350 sbc. As to what I understand after cranking I really have no need for the battery as my alternators output should be more then enough to supply power for all my needs. I’m running almost no accessories. But I do need enough power to allow maximum output for my hEI ignition box and dizzy. So how small can I go? What are my baseline numbers that will give me the power I need? Thanks for the help !

e_racer1999 thanks for the reply. The 680 CCA odyssey is the right size and seems to put me on the right track however I cant find the specs I need ie how many CCA's do i need to get my car fired up. I'd like to get just enough to do the job correctly and consistently.

thanks all . as far as why I am trying to hide the battery its mainly for looks. I relocated the battery to the rear but now need more space so id like to move it into the small compartments behind the seats and try it as stock looking as i can. so the CCA # is really important to me as that opens up more options for me.

thanks all . as far as why I am trying to hide the battery its mainly for looks. I relocated the battery to the rear but now need more space so id like to move it into the small compartments behind the seats and try it as stock looking as i can. so the CCA # is really important to me as that opens up more options for me.

If you're putting it int he passenger compartment Odyssey is your only choice. Standard batteries out gas some nasty fumes, Odyssey batteries don't.

I think the optimas are also gas free and contain no acid.

There are people who run race batteries in their street cars. I forget the name but I think Summit sells them. They are half the size of the optimas and oddyses.

But they also have half the capacity of the optimas and oddyses.

If you live in a good weather state, keep you engine in good tune and don't mind replacing the battery every few years, then the race batteries might work for you.

If you are like me and want the battery to last for 5+ years and always have enough juice to start you in any kind of weather, then get a full sized battery. That extra capacity means they can degrade longer before they have to be replaced.

optimas are gel cell, but if they over charge they do emit hydrogen gas, which is why they are still required to be placed in a box if they are in the passenger compartment for sanctioned racing

I didn't know that. Good info.

Back to the original post, a battery is still needed once the alternator is turning to smooth out voltage spikes as things turn on and off. Even a small battery will work in that regard.