HybridZ

Bad night, good day, bad night

Booztd 3

Ladies and gents

The last few days have been extremely tiring.......to say the least

I headed out of work monday afternoon and headed for my brother's dyno shop. The initial plan was to install my set of adjustable cam gears, get a baseline pull and then switch to E85 and see what we could do.

I had heard good things about cam gears and even the recent discussion on this forum, seemed to show some good evidence.

So the cam gears go on somewhat smoothly. I do notice the allen head bolts they use to secure the cam from moving out of adjustment, are pieces of ****. I am in a shop full of tools and cant find one that'll fit correctly, I do my best to tighten them down w/out stripping them, and get it all back together. Fired the car up, made a pass at 18psi........car made like 540ish, or something. I started off with a +2/-4 like everyone was saying should be a decent baseline. The car makes horrible power, I go back and look at the cam gears and sure enough the exhaust one slipped completely to full retard (20 degrees)

So I have to pull it back apart and fix that, get the cam gears zero'd out and go to fire it up, wont start. 2 Hours later I figure out that when the cam gear slipped, it actually caused the key to jog in the CAS which was completley throwing my signal off. Tired of pissing with it all, and being 11pm already, I 0'd the cam gears out again, got the CAS in, synched the timing with AEM, and made one 18psi pass just to make sure the car was good to go, boom 550+rwhp, OK cool, good night

Yesterday morning comes early, and decided that I just do not have the time to do an e85 tune, I just throw some Torco 112 in. Having previously hit 600rwhp~ @ 20psi with torco 112 I figured this tuning would go pretty easy as all i would have to do is adjust some fuel.

Luckily enough, it did. at 24-25psi the car made 680rwhp at 480~TQ. I was on the dyno for probably 30-40 mins and the car was working well.

So we loaded the car up along with my brother's mustang and we went out to Gateway Raceway (st louis MO) for a tuesday night test n tune.

1st pass out, I launch in 1st with a 1.8x 60', and right after shifting to 2nd the car just looses its power. I had to feather the gas all the way to the finish. It feels like the clutch broke, or completely glazed itsself. I have never troubleshooted a triple plate system before, but I can say that the car has problems moving under its own power (feels like the clutch is slipping) I got home at 3AM this morning and was back up at 7 for work :(

I suppose i will get it apart this weekend to see what the damage is. Since it was so busy I forgot to grab the winpep files off the dyno PC, but I should have them within the next day or so, and I also have videos of the dyno pases, and also I have in-car and out of car video of me breaking, so I'll get that stuff up too.....

LaterZ

Ive never been a fan of adjustable cam gears that use set screws. They can be handy for tuning on a dyno, but they just dont seem reliable long term. Im surprised they didnt even hold up for one pass, though!

Im not sure what motor you are running, but maybe someone makes this style of adjustable cam gears for your application (these are for the SR20):

CGRweb.jpgCGAweb.jpg

They are a bit more work to install/adjust, but there is ZERO chance of slipping once installed. JWT has a similar design.

EDIT - Guess youre running an RB if this is in the RB forum, huh ;) Do SR20 cam gears fit on RB cams?

- Greg -

only 25 and 26 gears fit 26 cams.

hey Booztd3, have you considered getting new bolts from Nissan? I can get you part numbers.

I have HKS cam gears on the way, but i ordered them anyways.

EDIT: new bolts probably wouldn't do much, seeing as the cap screws are part of the adjustable cam gear facing, and not the stock cam gears.... hmmmmm..

good lesson for those of us who are comtemplating adjustable gears :-)

a buddy of mine just tuned his EVO 8 on E85. puts down around 435 at the wheels with just cams and a ported stock turbo with down pipe and exhaust. Tim Switzer or switzer performance in ohio did the tune and he said it was awsome tunign it due to the fact it burs so clean it did not make him sick after tuning it like a race gas powered one would

and gah-dayum! 680hp.!

@ what RPM?

way to go :D

680rwhp @ 7900-8000rpms.....my car keeps making power the higher you go, it never falls off :)

If i could rev to 8500-9000 I'd surely make good amounts more, I just do not trust the stock oiling system, rod bolts, etc etc. This is still a stock block, stock head car (with the exception of headstuds and a headgasket)

good lesson for those of us who are comtemplating adjustable gears :-)

a buddy of mine just tuned his EVO 8 on E85. puts down around 435 at the wheels with just cams and a ported stock turbo with down pipe and exhaust. Tim Switzer or switzer performance in ohio did the tune and he said it was awsome tunign it due to the fact it burs so clean it did not make him sick after tuning it like a race gas powered one would

Guys have been putting down 700+rwhp in supras on E85. I know a similar situation E85+Meth netted 850+rwhp

My car is making 550~rwhp on 93 octane, i cant wait to do the E85 tune

ahh yes. that was the percentage that was escaping my brain. and good point if you are running bigger injectors to begin with you are set.

Another thing people do is just upgrade injectors by 30% and leave everything else. If you're running twin walbro's you should have enough to support 700rwhp.

680rwhp @ 7900-8000rpms.....my car keeps making power the higher you go, it never falls off :)

If i could rev to 8500-9000 I'd surely make good amounts more, I just do not trust the stock oiling system, rod bolts, etc etc. This is still a stock block, stock head car (with the exception of headstuds and a headgasket)

So have you changed anything within the block, or are you stating that the casting of the block has been left unchanged?